• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First computers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First computers

The first computer I programmed was a VIC-20. A couple of years later I got a Spectrum 16K of my own.

I've just build a machine from spare parts for doodab jr. It's got a QX6850, 8GB RAM and an old NVidia Graphics card. How times have changed.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    The first computer I programmed was a VIC-20. A couple of years later I got a Spectrum 16K of my own.

I've just build a machine from spare parts for doodab jr. It's got a QX6850, 8GB RAM and an old NVidia Graphics card. How times have changed.
    Dragon 32.

Wrote an address book - a very long 'if' statement with all the addresses hardcoded. Mind you, I saw some not dissimilar code in a commercial environment recently!

Comment

Vic 20!

I got it to say hello to me ... to be honest my coding never got much beyond that ...
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I learned the principles of programming on a ZX80. Then got a ZX81, and learned Z80A programming. After that, I think I got an Atari ST. First PC was P120 with a 1GB harddrive, in '95.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

ZX81, learnt to code by copying programs from magazines (Asteroids and Space Invaders). First thing I wrote for myself was a program to test my brothers multiplication skills.

BBC Model B after that, then discovered video games (Elite) and decided coding was too much like hard work. A view reinforced when I got to Uni and did a CIS degree.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

you kids and your shop-bought computers. Microtan 65, soldering iron, hours of work. 1k RAM, no storage at all.
            World's Best Martini

Comment

Zx80, zx81, spectrum 16, spectrum 48, spectrum 128, Sinclair QL. Then when the Sinclair products dried up, forced to get an IBM XT. Then 286. Then 386 with 386slow to enable me to still play my 286 games.

Coding learned from Input Magazine.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

ZX81 built from the kit - £49.95 IIR.

Myself and a mate (called Russell ) spend a happy weekend trying to write Space Invaders in 1K Ram.

We managed 1 Space Invader and 1 bullet but not both on the screen at the same time!

Comment

Apart from a binary adder that I built from 7400 flip-flops while at school, I had a Commodore 64 and programmed a game on it where I fired mortars at the office building, scoring points according to whose office I hit. I coded in Newton's laws of motion for the trajectory. Never enjoyed a project so much since.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Apart from a binary adder that I built from 7400 flip-flops while at school, I had a Commodore 64 and programmed a game on it where I fired mortars at the office building, scoring points according to whose office I hit. I coded in Newton's laws of motion for the trajectory. Never enjoyed a project so much since.
                    Sounds a bit like angry birds.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X