• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First computers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Zx80, zx81, spectrum 16, spectrum 48, spectrum 128, Sinclair QL. Then when the Sinclair products dried up, forced to get an IBM XT. Then 286. Then 386 with 386slow to enable me to still play my 286 games.

Coding learned from Input Magazine.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

BBC Model B after that, then discovered video games (Elite) and decided coding was too much like hard work. A view reinforced when I got to Uni and did a CIS degree.
      I may have mentiond this before but I was Elite.
      Coding isn't hard It's all the other shit: around it
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Drooooooooooooooool.

Thanks NAT.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Amstrad CPC 464 (but I'm younger than most of you lot)
          Last edited by SimonMac; 25 January 2014, 22:25.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            Coding isn't hard It's all the other tulip around it
            Originally posted by Zippy View Post
            Coding isn't hard It's all the other tulip around it
            Geek!

Confession time. I never spent hours of my misspent youth in an attic room pounding away on the keyboard of a zx spectrum.

In fact I remember being at junior school and there was a lot of excitement over a computer that somebody was going to bring in to show us all.

I remember them wheeling this huge white contraption that looked like a washing machine in on a trolley. They guy twiddled a few knobs, pressed a few buttons and then came the piece de resistance. It spat out 3 feet of ticket tape. Bearing in mind we'd all just seen 2001 where the computer talked, I wasn't impressed and didn't really think being a computer programmer was going to be the thing for me.

No, I'm a self confessed charlatan. I did one of those M.Sc. conversion courses - it was either that or be a teacher.

Comment

Atari 520 ST for it's MIDI capability.

I commercially programmed MIDI files for a few years and still do them for my own use.

Cubase came on a 720K floppy in them days.
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Not quite a computer, but my first programming experience was on one of these....

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                  Not quite a computer, but my first programming experience was on one of these....
                  I had one of these bad boys. Actually I still have it

While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Architect partner in 82 had a Macintosh. Remember working for a solicitor in 93 whose secretary had a 65 year old partner who managed to persuade him that Windows would never catch on so the office bought Word for ms dos despite my pleas. Later had an Atari with Cubase for music stuff but the novelty wore off. Have another husband now who is also an Apple fan but I refuse to be seduced and like my Samsung tablet and my trusty ancient HP pc.

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
                      Architect partner in 82 had a Macintosh. Remember working for a solicitor in 93 whose secretary had a 65 year old partner who managed to persuade him that Windows would never catch on so the office bought Word for ms dos despite my pleas. Later had an Atari with Cubase for music stuff but the novelty wore off. Have another husband now who is also an Apple fan but I refuse to be seduced and like my Samsung tablet and my trusty ancient HP pc.
                      Couldn't agree more. Samsung is now my hardware of choice.

My virtual BIL is a Mac geek and was recently showing off the fingerprint recognition security feature on his IPhone.
                      I thought to myself, yes, that's very clever but why the hell would I want it? And would it work when I've worn my fingers down to the bone after a good brass rubbing session in one of the local churches?

Comment

Working...
                      X