• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First computers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acorn Electron - Commodore 64 - Atari ST

Started on the Electron - also using Input mag \O/

oh they were the days

Comment

ZX80, ZX81, Spectrum, ORIC, also an very old Sinclair programmable calculator and still have my Psion Organiser and Psion Series 5. The next thing was a 386 with a massive 80mb disk and 1 mb of memory running Geoworks, whoo...
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

School had one of these:

If you were first in the computer room (used to often happen to me in the holidays, as I lived nearby) you loaded the language tape into the high-speed paper tape reader, then entered the bootstrap code in binary using the toggle switches on the front. Then set it running and, after the tape had loaded, the Teletypes would suddenly chatter into life. I can still hear them now

Around 1978 the school allocated a grand or two to purchase an additional 8K of core, but the savvy CompSci teacher hung on for a few months and was able instead to purchase two fully-loaded SWTPC 6800s for the same money:

After schooldays, a mate had an Acorn Atom and then a Model B. Then of course in the mid-80s I became a full-time games developer, and we had at least one of everything in the office

Comment

Working...
        X