• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the purpose of marriage?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

simple

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Is it to find out what sort of man your wife would have preferred?
    how do you stop the love of your life giving you a B-Job

Marry her !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
      That's what I'd do. I like the idea of a drive through wedding in Vegas, or getting married by Elvis. No fuss, just a slight detour then carry on with the holiday. If anyone wants to help celebrate we can have a party when we get home.
      I always thought like this, but I was Best Man at a Vegas wedding and while it was great fun (And Vegas is ace), somehow it just didn't do it for me and it put me off the idea of a destination wedding. We enjoyed doing a country house wedding and I loved it - enjoyed it far more than I ever imagined enjoying a wedding day.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
        That's what I'd do. I like the idea of a drive through wedding in Vegas, or getting married by Elvis. No fuss, just a slight detour then carry on with the holiday. If anyone wants to help celebrate we can have a party when we get home.
        If you don't believe in marriage as special for whatever reasons, then don't do it. Why bother? Why feel obligated to spend a fortune on a daft party if you don't think getting married actually changes anything. Many see it as just a token - it's a blood expensive token!
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          If you don't believe in marriage as special for whatever reasons, then don't do it. Why bother? Why feel obligated to spend a fortune on a daft party if you don't think getting married actually changes anything. Many see it as just a token - it's a blood expensive token!
          you can walk down to the registry office & do it. Party in the pub afterwards < £1k.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Because our governments still see it as special.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              you can walk down to the registry office & do it. Party in the pub afterwards < £1k.
              Indeed but why have the party at all? If you're only doing it for tax breaks, nip into the registry office one Tuesday, sign the forms and forget about it.

Comment

Because you can't get divorced unless you are married.

Comment

Indeed but why have the party at all? If you're only doing it for tax breaks, nip into the registry office one Tuesday, sign the forms and forget about it.

I don't think that's what Clare said.
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                    I don't think that's what Clare said.
                    I didn't say it was, but others have suggested that.

If you've been together say 10 years, live together and have kids, deciding "maybe should get married" seems singularly pointless and nothing to celebrate. It's administration, not union.

Comment

Purpose? To have sex on ta- no hang on, that can't be it.

qh
                      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X