• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is the purpose of marriage?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    I guess you could have sex on a tap, especially if you were a lady and it was one with a long spout, but I don't imagine it would be that comfortable and as a man, I'll pass.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Purpose? To have sex on ta- no hang on, that can't be it.

qh

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I don't think that's what Clare said.
    I didn't say it was, but others have suggested that.

If you've been together say 10 years, live together and have kids, deciding "maybe should get married" seems singularly pointless and nothing to celebrate. It's administration, not union.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Indeed but why have the party at all? If you're only doing it for tax breaks, nip into the registry office one Tuesday, sign the forms and forget about it.

I don't think that's what Clare said.

Leave a comment:

• RedSauce
    replied
    Because you can't get divorced unless you are married.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    you can walk down to the registry office & do it. Party in the pub afterwards < £1k.
    Indeed but why have the party at all? If you're only doing it for tax breaks, nip into the registry office one Tuesday, sign the forms and forget about it.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    If you don't believe in marriage as special for whatever reasons, then don't do it. Why bother? Why feel obligated to spend a fortune on a daft party if you don't think getting married actually changes anything. Many see it as just a token - it's a blood expensive token!
    Because our governments still see it as special.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    If you don't believe in marriage as special for whatever reasons, then don't do it. Why bother? Why feel obligated to spend a fortune on a daft party if you don't think getting married actually changes anything. Many see it as just a token - it's a blood expensive token!
    you can walk down to the registry office & do it. Party in the pub afterwards < £1k.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    That's what I'd do. I like the idea of a drive through wedding in Vegas, or getting married by Elvis. No fuss, just a slight detour then carry on with the holiday. If anyone wants to help celebrate we can have a party when we get home.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    That's what I'd do. I like the idea of a drive through wedding in Vegas, or getting married by Elvis. No fuss, just a slight detour then carry on with the holiday. If anyone wants to help celebrate we can have a party when we get home.
    I always thought like this, but I was Best Man at a Vegas wedding and while it was great fun (And Vegas is ace), somehow it just didn't do it for me and it put me off the idea of a destination wedding. We enjoyed doing a country house wedding and I loved it - enjoyed it far more than I ever imagined enjoying a wedding day.

Leave a comment:

• tarbera
    replied
    simple

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Is it to find out what sort of man your wife would have preferred?
    how do you stop the love of your life giving you a B-Job

Marry her !!!!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Is it to find out what sort of man your wife would have preferred?
    I think BP's is still the best. Nicely done.

My, what a bitter lot you are

Question to BP: I'm confused. I know you were married long ago (the whole Batman thing ) but thought that ended long ago. But over recent weeks you've talked about "the wife" and about not having a wife... so are you married or not?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    The purpose?

It's great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    'Those who the gods seek to destroy, they first make mad'

Really struggling to see the appeal after seeing numerous people royally rogered after break-ups.
    But, if you like living in a bed-sit while some wayne rogers your missus and brings up your kids while sitting in your house watching your telly, fill ya boots...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    WSS +1

My accountant (who also happens to be a woman) is always bringing this up and how much I would save in tax. Admittedly over the past 25 years we've been together I think it would have been quite a lot, its just I'm a lazy bugger and just can't get around to doing all the paperwork (actually I did get around to getting a copy of my birth certificate, just in case)
    In the UK its not just tax savings a Partner has a lot fewer rights.

Citizens Advice - Living together and marriage: legal differences

I believe if you end up as a vegetable your wife has a far easier time legally than a partner.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X