• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coming over here, taking our jobs...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    you know a lot of people at the bottom end then?
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    used to be a recruitment consultant ...
    So you've been there yourself?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Anyone who wants multinationals to pay more tax will have to accept two things;
      1) lower pension payouts as they can't pay the same dividends
      2) an even greater public debt seeing as however much money you give the government they'll always spend between 3% and 5% more.

That's why I don't think it's a good idea for multinationals to pay more tax.

In fact I don't tink it's much good for anyone to pay any more tax tan they already do.
      you actually believe the profits from pension companies actually make it back to pensions?

I like many would have been better off If I had put my private pension money under the mattress. This is with large companies who have a stranglehold on the investment market you get out less than you put in.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        used to be a recruitment consultant dealing with that end - so yes I have an insight.

the interesting thing was when you had dad n son applying for (admittedly sh1ddy) jobs - often much enthusiasm in the youngster not so in the dad - but then maybe thats what happens when life crushes your spirit.
        yes, precisely.

The son's spirit is now being crushed and we replace them with a Polish Professor cleaning bogs.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

you actually believe the profits from pension companies actually make it back to pensions?
          Some of them, yes, but if you take more tax from the multinationals it'll be even less than now; what you've pointed to is a seperate issue that needs to be tackled, i.e. the completely opaque costs of pension fund management.

Comment

yes, precisely.

The son's spirit is now being crushed and we replace them with a Polish Professor cleaning bogs.
            As long as people are encouraged to think that being born somewhere gives them the right to wealth, health and happiness, their spirits will be crushed very quickly in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              There are some calculations out there that define liveable wage, which I think is only 1-2 more than current level, but I've rounded it up.
              You're missing the point - I'm asking that if upping the minimum wage makes things better, then why not up it to £20 an hour, or a thousand pounds an hour?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                You're missing the point - I'm asking that if upping the minimum wage makes things better, then why not up it to £20 an hour, or a thousand pounds an hour?
                No, don't do that; I haven't got any debts any more so hyperinflation's no use to me.

Comment

As Fast Food Workers Go On Strike In 100 Cities, Applebees Unveils The "Waiter Terminator" | Zero Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                    Because getting it too high would cause inflation in more skilled jobs and that could be a problem.

Comment

In other words, a funny thing happened as fast food workers were striking across the land - they were all just made obsolete courtesy of iPads.

It's true to these things are starting to sprout up in airports and service stations generally you choose and pay all up front and only see a person to pick up your goods....

so in essence the employee in this instacne literally takes your food from the back shelves where the chefs (?!?) put once it is made and put it on a tray

how can you pay someone $15 per hour to do that?

Comment

Working...
                      X