• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain hysterical over immigration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    Some are pretty easy to figure out. Immigration is the voters number two concern. Yet flagship programmes like "question time" hardly ever feature it as a topic, certainly not in anywhere near the proportion of times being the voters number two concern justifies. Partly due to BBC bias, and partly due to the broadly pro immigration parties encouraging their activists to attend making the audience unlike a random selection of the public. When they do talk about it they hardly ever let well educated people discuss the alternates to the status quo of the main parties.
    The BBC is not the only media channel available. While it may or may not be biased, the UK has a wide range of 'news'papers, journals, TV channels and websites where all sorts of views can be aired, and there's even a speakers' corner where you can say what you like.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      What I have never understood is the apathy amongst IT contractors to actually step in and do something about the ICT Visa. It would not be hard to set up an anonymous website with names of employers and names of companies and numbers involved. After all you are the ones who see it day to day.
      Instead you lot moan about it and allude to it going on but you are too cowardly to name anyone or give examples.
      Why are there not informants going to the borders agency and giving some names of Indians who have been on site for long periods, checking their wages and living conditions and the nature of work they do.
      Actually I have reported some offences to the relevant regulators. I have been to see my MP who is a senior cabinet minister. I have tried to "do something", sadly the powers that be are not listening.

Comment

What I have never understood is the apathy amongst IT contractors to actually step in and do something about the ICT Visa. It would not be hard to set up an anonymous website with names of employers and names of companies and numbers involved. After all you are the ones who see it day to day.
        Instead you lot moan about it and allude to it going on but you are too cowardly to name anyone or give examples.
        Why are there not informants going to the borders agency and giving some names of Indians who have been on site for long periods, checking their wages and living conditions and the nature of work they do.
        Almost all blue chips I've worked at had a floor of Indian workers who brought their "tiffin" to lunch. But in almost all cases they were doing low-level IT support - I don't think the outsourcing model is, yet, suitable for high-value-added work.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

I'm not moaning about it. I'm working with some excellent chaps from India and learning a lot from working with them. They're also better paid than their Dutch colleagues.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            Almost all blue chips I've worked at had a floor of Indian workers who brought their "tiffin" to lunch. But in almost all cases they were doing low-level IT support - I don't think the outsourcing model is, yet, suitable for high-value-added work.
            Some industrials like my clientco are now employing Indian techies and engineers in much more high level functions because;

a) they have the skills
            b) they understand the needs of customers in a growing market like India

Obviously it's a different sector to the finance firms in London and in different sectors you see different patterns.

Unfortunately I think that some people are struggling with the idea that the economic power in the world is shifting. We can disagree about the speed at which it's shifting, but it does seem to be shifting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              The BBC is not the only media channel available. While it may or may not be biased, the UK has a wide range of 'news'papers, journals, TV channels and websites where all sorts of views can be aired, and there's even a speakers' corner where you can say what you like.
              true but the BBC does still have a lot of influence in this country, and the dominant views of its elite are rammed down everyones throats constantly. sure there are other media, but individuals know the views of those dominating the hiring process in the media and so temper their views to ensure they dont ruin their future chances of being hired.

to be fair the web is forcing more airing of wider viewpoints, slowly this will change things.

Comment

That is not the point. If they are doing "low level" work why are they doing it here and not from India?
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                  true but the BBC does still have a lot of influence in this country, and the dominant views of its elite are rammed down everyones throats constantly. sure there are other media, but individuals know the views of those dominating the hiring process in the media and so temper their views to ensure they dont ruin their future chances of being hired.

to be fair the web is forcing more airing of wider viewpoints, slowly this will change things.
                  OK, so in your view the BBC puts across views that do not reflect your own and doesn't put across the views that you hold. Maybe it does, but that's very different to 'suppressing' other views.

Comment

MitchKnob, I am considerably kleverer and more educashioned than yau.
                    If you can't see the mechanisms you must be stupid, just take a walk around, look at the black helicopters in the sky and notice the radio masts supressing the bad news in immigration and beaming propaganda into your abode.
                    This conversation is over, as I must put some tin foil on my head.

Love CoolCat.
                    The conspiracy theory argument that neatly avoids the need to produce evidence. The refuge of the bigot
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      I'm not moaning about it. I'm working with some excellent chaps from India and learning a lot from working with them. They're also better paid than their Dutch colleagues.
                      This whole argument is passé - that's what all these UKIP idiots don't get.
                      The situation is changing and fluid.
                      Firstly, large blue chips are already more likely to open offices in India than import Indian workers here.
                      Secondly, remote working is already a possibility -FFS it's the way I run my business: working from home with clients across Europe.
                      Thirdly, the global cognitive elite can work anywhere in the world, since their employers are powerful enough to move them wherever they want.
                      This suggests to me that jobs have already de-centralised and become global.
                      Trying to preserve jobs like IT in a geographical location is like trying to hold water in your hands.
                      All a country can do is to make itself an inviting destination for companies to base themselves in. Or it can withdraw, put the barriers up and resign itself to poverty.
                      Last edited by sasguru; 29 November 2013, 09:50.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X