• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FGM - why?? FFS Why?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    You can happily play Music loud in private, when it is too loud for the neighbours you aremay be breaking the some laws, bylaws or contractual terms.
    Slight amendment there:
    "too loud" is somewhat subjective.
    "too loud for the neighbours" is very subjective.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      It's bad law if it's intruding on personal and private freedoms when they affect nobody else.
      Again, why? Why should your private life not be governed in any sense? Where does this basic premise come from that you so boldly state?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
        Slight amendment there:
        "too loud" is somewhat subjective.
        "too loud for the neighbours" is very subjective.
        Its not subjective it is measured using using calibrated noise meters.

Actually getting the council to do this is quite hard.

Breach of the Peace is normally subjective.

Law:

Noise and Nuisance - Frequently Asked Questions
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Its not subjective it is measured using using calibrated noise meters.

Actually getting the council to do this is quite hard.

Law:

Sorry I still disagree!
          You said "too loud for the neighbours" implying that it was the neighbours view of "too loud" that counted.

I accept that both "too loud" and "too loud loud for the neighbours" might be in breach of laws/bylaws etc.

It is perfectly possible that measurement by the equipment you mention would confirm that the music didn't meet the objective criteria of "too loud" (as defined in the laws/bylaws etc) that wouldn't alter the subjective view of the neighbour.
          Conversely the objective measure of "too loud" might be perfectly acceptable to a different neighbour.

Comment

Again, why? Why should your private life not be governed in any sense? Where does this basic premise come from that you so boldly state?
            In the absence of any "higher laws" the best statement comes from the US constitution - We hold these things to be self evident ...blah blah (ignore the creator bit) ...life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

We may not know why, but we do know what things make us happy, the instincts and needs and desires that nature has given us. It makes sense to go with those - to satisfy our own desires and also to cooperate towards making a decent society that we all want to live in. There is less happiness when a society intrudes too far into our personal lives, as in some dictatorships, overbearing communist and religious states, or when there is too much emphasis on the human rights of individuals to the detriment of others, as in ours.
            Last edited by xoggoth; 7 November 2013, 21:17.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Since I've known about it since I was a teen - woman's mags sometimes do have useful information in them - I've done some of my bit already by telling other Western women about it.
              That is such a lame response that it needs quoting for posterity.

Comment

Law:

Even being too tall can be considered a breech of the peace, according to plod
                Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Sorry I still disagree!

Conversely the objective measure of "too loud" might be perfectly acceptable to a different neighbour.
                  You have a real future on this board in Pedants corner!

Comment

You have a real future on this board in Pedants corner!
                    Well presumably only a virtual future as Dactylion isn't actually "me".....

Comment

Well presumably only a virtual future as Dactylion isn't actually "me".....
                      well played my imaginary friend!

Comment

Working...
                      X