• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crimewatch - Madeleine McCann

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    That is absolute bollocks and the kidnapping and rape thing could not be more different.
    I am sorry but they are not different in terms of who is responsible for the crime. You are apportioning blame on the parents for "encouraging" someone to steal their child by leaving the gate open. What is the difference between that and a girl wearing skimpy clothes and "encouraging" a man to rape her. Both scenarios show a lack of responsibility from the victim.

The reason you dont like it is because one offends the sanctity of a womans right to be herself and dress how she likes without having to worry about the effect it may have on other people (men). and the other one offers you an opportunity to show your superiority in the parenting department
    Last edited by DodgyAgent; 15 October 2013, 14:23.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Saying that because your actions changed an outcome makes you responsible is bunk. A doctor goes to a restaurant and saves someone from choking. If he had decided to stay in and read up on the latest baby monitors rather than wasting time having fun, that person could have died.

I go out for a pack of fags and seeing an old man being beaten up, run in and the attackers flee. If I had chosen to give up smoking, he could have been killed.

Things happen that cannot be foreseen.
      Ok ,so if I drive to Dover cliffs and leave my blind uncle to walk around on the edge of the cliff and he falls off then it's not my fault really as he might not have the week before.

Comment

Saying that because your actions changed an outcome makes you responsible is bunk. A doctor goes to a restaurant and saves someone from choking. If he had decided to stay in and read up on the latest baby monitors rather than wasting time having fun, that person could have died.

I go out for a pack of fags and seeing an old man being beaten up, run in and the attackers flee. If I had chosen to give up smoking, he could have been killed. - Extremely unlikely but very funny attempting to visualise.

Things happen that cannot be foreseen.
        Again, you miss a point; they are their kids parents. They have a legal, and moral, duty of care. If you read about this, say, from a chav, going out dancing and eating whilst leaving the kids alone, the mail would be all over her suggesting care for the kids....

Comment

You force your kid to watch you take a tulip? What kind of pervert are you? Do you make them come in the bedroom when you're getting jiggy too?

I'm so sorry, clearly if it was a lunchtime kidnapping it would be a whole different story.
          Oh FFS.

I'm out of this conversation, with you. I'm pretty sure you couldn't be more of an ass about this.
          Last edited by cailin maith; 15 October 2013, 14:21.
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
            You take the toddler/child/baby with you.

Jesus Christ.
            I'll tell you something; if my father had ever tried to take me with him when he went for a tulip I'd have run like hell; my biological weapons grade stinker turds are a direct genetic inheritance from him. Only he's even worse.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Yep, perhaps they made a stupid mistake, but nobody deserves to lose their kid for a half hour of silliness, and they certainly don't deserve the spiteful reactions of many people. Poor sods.
              Is anyone here saying they do? From my quick scan back of the thread - none of us are.

We disagree on whether they should have left their children alone, but absolutely no one says any of them deserve what happened.
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I'll tell you something; if my father had ever tried to take me with him when he went for a tulip I'd have run like hell; my biological weapons grade stinker turds are a direct genetic inheritance from him. Only he's even worse.
                I'd wager you've been in the bathroom with your parents more times than either of you care to think about.
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                  Is anyone here saying they do? From my quick scan back of the thread - none of us are.

We disagree on whether they should have left their children alone, but absolutely no one says any of them deserve what happened.
                  No, but some of the judgments are a bit fierce when the circumstances of what happened can't possibly be known by all of us.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I sometimes change junior's nappies, Porton Down are the recipients!

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      I am sorry but they are not different in terms of who is responsible for the crime. You are apportioning blame on the parents for "encouraging" someone to steal their child by leaving the gate open. What is the difference between that and a girl wearing skimpy clothes and "encouraging" a man to rape her. Both scenarios show a lack of responsibility from the victim.

The reason you dont like it is because one offends the sanctity of a womans right to be herself and dress how she likes without having to worry about the effect it may have on other people (men). and the other one offers you an opportunity to show your superiority in the parenting department
                      It’s absurd you think they are different; are you saying the woman owes the man a duty not to dress how he’d see as provocative enough to be raped?

I can’t believe you’d write this. The Mcanns have a legal, and moral duty of care to their children. To leave them alone in an unlocked house, apartment whatever whilst they went out drinking and dancing, means they failed in that.

Comment

Working...
                      X