• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SCRUM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patently more applicable to permie projects then, as Contractors have always had to be more accountable than the permies.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
      Patently more applicable to permie projects then, as Contractors have always had to be more accountable than the permies.
      Nope.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It's very gratifying to see a thread about my morning poo encourage such a lively and thoughtful debate.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

People who are clueless and crap at getting projects live will be crap whatever the methodology.

People who are good will make projects a success regardless of the methodology.

That we have invented a new priesthood in bulltulip is ridiculous.

Comment

At the end of the day the it does not improve the product and it does not improve productivity, it does however cost quite a bit of money to keep this fantasy world with all these people with stupid titles with their rules going.

And for that reason I'm out.

Comment

The daily meetings are a complete waste of time but make a nice break from sitting at the computer.

The only one that counts is the weeky planning meeting, but then those have existed since the 60's.

I really see no difference at all between "Agile" and any other project I've done over the last 20 years, except for things they've added that are bad. Daily meetings waste people's times but if it's short can't do much harm and it's not my money they're spending. No documentation is also bad, just disconnected story lines, and undocumented spaghetti code as everyone sprints to the next release.

Unfortunately some people have been brought up on this cr*p so they don't know any better.

NASA put a man on the moon using "antiquated" project management techniques on time and on budget.

Today using Agile that would be impossible,
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 9 October 2013, 16:46.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Previous permie co. did SCRUM, apparently. It seemed to involve a lot of time spent arguing in meeting rooms and everybody having to do extra hours to meet the hard deadline with the list of features that absolutely had to be complete, all the time being told you weren't allowed to start the next part of the project yet because it wasn't assigned to the current sprint even though you had nothing else to do. Maybe they should have considered paying LockHouse a million pounds an hour to coach, but it would have been far better if the management had let the developers get on with the bit we were good at. Did I mention that I resigned after 18 months?

No stand ups though. But I did have to do standups at a previous client, and despite my natural cynicism about these things, I thought it was quite positive. That was a case of everybody got 30 seconds at most, so worked quite well. But nobody called it SCRUM.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  The daily meetings are a complete waste of time but make a nice break from sitting at the computer.

The only one that counts is the weeky planning meeting, but then those have existed since the 60's.

I really see no difference at all between "Agile" and any other project I've done over the last 20 years, except for things they've added that are bad. Daily meetings waste people's times but if it's short can't do much harm and it's not my money they're spending. No documentation is also bad, just disconnected story lines, and undocumented spaghetti code as everyone sprints to the next release.

I've never got the reason for that. Daily meeting to discuss what you've done is fine, no documentation is also fine (until you come to try and fix it afterwards)...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

NASA put a man on the moon using "antiquated" project management techniques on time and on budget.

Today using Agile that would be impossible,
                    Projects where safety is critical can't use Agile methodology.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      I've never got the reason for that. Daily meeting to discuss what you've done is fine, no documentation is also fine (until you come to try and fix it afterwards)...
                      Documentation is always out of date including the nice diagrams people draw.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X