• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Software Room 101

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have we had Windows ME yet? How apt, to name it after brain damage. ME is also closely linked with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) which is what using Windows ME generally leads to.

I remember once we did a clean ME install and going online to do the automatic updates as suggested, our computer was full of malware and popups before the installation process had even completed!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It would be much easier to make a list of software worth keeping....
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Would that fill a one page thread?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Would that fill a one page thread?
          Possibly not...
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Actually there are many really good bits of software out there, we might moan about ME but Windows 7 is superb. We might doubt the validity of some feature in Office but overall we nearly all use it daily.

Some of the shareware and freeware puts huge software houses to shame.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Actually there are many really good bits of software out there, we might moan about ME but Windows 7 is superb. We might doubt the validity of some feature in Office but overall we nearly all use it daily.

Yep Windows 7 is superb. What about Vista or Windows 8?
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I use WordPad more than Word; it doesn't play random formatting jokes and it doesn't encourage idiot 'process managers' to make macro's that slow down progress.

And yes, a lot of freeware puts the big software houses to shame, especially some of the testing stuff, probably because it's built by people who use it to do their work instead of being built to please BigCo's marketing wonks.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Yep Windows 7 is superb. What about Vista or Windows 8?
                  Vista should have been called "windows 7 pre,pre,pre alpha".

Windows 8 is AIUI robust, its the imposition of marketing twerps that have hurt it. Windows 9 will probably be cracking.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
                    ServiceNow, because it has a million fields that nobody understands and hence they misuse them and put metadata into ticket descriptions. It encourages bad user behaviour. And it's stupidly expensive for what it does.
                    +1, so bad it makes me pine for Remedy.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                      +1, so bad it makes me pine for Remedy.

qh
                      Remedy? Open on my machine right now.

Comment

Working...
                      X