• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Latest Dilemma : PVC conservatory doors vs Oak Room divider

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Look mate, just go with the wooden doors as the lady wants, because if you choose anything else and it goes wrong, you're going to hear about it every day of your life until you die.
    +++++1

The difference in heat saving between the two will be pretty negligible if you get the oak ones done properly. You are going get 95%+ of what you want with either. To piss the other half off for a few % extra heat saving??? Really not worth it, besides, the Oak will look much much better than the pvc option. Worth a couple of quid extra on the heating for the great looks and addition to the house if you ever come to sell....

You are not cut out for the decision making business when the wife is involved are you
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The U-Value between wood & PVC-U is minimal – what would make more difference is the size of the void (air gap), how many voids (double or triple glazed) & what is in the void (air or argon)
      Growing old is mandatory
      Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        Compromise, have a look around there are cheaper versions. these fold out the way so in the summer you get the open plan feel.

Solid Oak Folding Patio Doors - Exterior Folding & Sliding Patio Doors -Doors & Windows - Wickes
        F that.

PVC or wooden french doors cost £1500 with fitting... I'm a contractor but I'm not (yet) made of money.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          F that.

PVC or wooden french doors cost £1500 with fitting... I'm a contractor but I'm not (yet) made of money.
          so its NorthwestPoorContr?

INKSPE
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
            The U-Value between wood & PVC-U is minimal – what would make more difference is the size of the void (air gap), how many voids (double or triple glazed) & what is in the void (air or argon)
            The suppliers admit it's not the best in terms of insulation because of the sliding doors (they overlap and a fair amount of heat can escape from it).

Comment

so its NorthwestPoorContr?

INKSPE
              NorthWestPoorUsedToBeRichContr

Effect of buying a house that needs a lot of work....

Comment

F that.

Right. Best behaviour on the forum from now on or we forward Vetran's link to Mrs NWP2C. Capische?

Comment

Compromise, have a look around there are cheaper versions. these fold out the way so in the summer you get the open plan feel.

Solid Oak Folding Patio Doors - Exterior Folding & Sliding Patio Doors -Doors & Windows - Wickes
                  NOOOOO! Imagine the scene if he presses a compromise solution and one tiny thing goes wrong, like a little draught that needs stopping with one of those draught snakes, or a slight bend in the construction that makes it difficult to shut in one season of the year! Or even something completely unconnected, like when she breaks a heel on her shoes on holiday; he's going to hear 'it wouldn't have happened if you'd gone with my choice of wooden doors!'
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

F that.

I've been at meals that cost more than that for 4 of us (those were the days)

Plus its £1500 or no nooky throughout the winter. Choice is yours....
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      NOOOOO! Imagine the scene if he presses a compromise solution and one tiny thing goes wrong, like a little draught that needs stopping with one of those draught snakes, or a slight bend in the construction that makes it difficult to shut in one season of the year! Or even something completely unconnected, like when she breaks a heel on her shoes on holiday; he's going to hear 'it wouldn't have happened if you'd gone with my choice of wooden doors!'
                      I've got you under the thumb...

deep in the heart of me...

Do Be do be doooo!

Voice of experience?
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X