• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice Needed - Student Son's housemate threatening violence !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wise words.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      You did a Gap Yah? How progressive..
      No, I lived on my own and had a full time job while doing my A levels.

Part of the point of Uni is teaching you how to live as a real person, so snide comments about babysitting are rather lame really.
      Well if you didn't make snide comments you wouldn't invite them.

The majority go straight from home (who cares if you didn't) so it makes sense the first year DOES hold your hand a bit.
      And why do you think this doesn't happen in university managed flats and university managed houses?

That's the whole point of halls... you get a room or share a room and get to know people in a slightly 'managed' environment before taking the plunge into adulthood the next year when you know people.
      Yes, and lots of "proper universities" have managed houses and blocks of flats (sometimes called "halls") as well as more traditional halls. I'd argue they are a better preparation for the "plunge into adulthood" as well, given that in a lot of halls the mollycoddling seemed to be pitched at people who are just getting used to not having servants. At least, that's what the halls were like at my uni.

I'm not quite sure how you got the idea that living in halls isn't living with total strangers in the first place. Did you have a cabal of school friends who all ended up at the same place?
      Last edited by doodab; 26 September 2013, 12:10.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Haven't you read this thread? Neither the OP or MF is talking about a university 'halls' flat, where problem people would be speedily dealt with. Going to be a fresher in a university-managed housing block is exactly the kind of thing I'm supporting, to avoid everyone having to be as grown up as you apparently were, to avoid dealing with landlords and all that crud.

If you're in a hall it's all strangers, yes, but there are dozens or hundreds of you rather than 4 or 5 in a house as a single unit.

Comment

Haven't you read this thread? Neither the OP or MF is talking about a university 'halls' flat, where problem people would be speedily dealt with. Going to be a fresher in a university-managed housing block is exactly the kind of thing I'm supporting, to avoid everyone having to be as grown up as you apparently were, to avoid dealing with landlords and all that crud.

If you're in a hall it's all strangers, yes, but there are dozens or hundreds of you rather than 4 or 5 in a house as a single unit.
          Usually it's strangers in the uni flats too, at least in first year. Then, from second year onwards you're left to find your own flatmates.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Remember: only users lose drugs.
            I use aspirin.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

All I did was point out that it's quite normal not to know anyone in the first year. You were the one who decided that living in halls at a "proper uni" was somehow different than living in a house or flat.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                UPDATE (if anyone's interested)
                - the landlord has given the scrote notice to F.O. and scrote will be moving out within the week

So the landlord saw the sense in having 2 normal people in the house rather than one ars-hole
                I hope it pans out like this, result. with luck the next flatmate is decent. Glad the landlord acted decisively and sensibly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                  Usually it's strangers in the uni flats too, at least in first year. Then, from second year onwards you're left to find your own flatmates.
                  Duh.

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  All I did was point out that it's quite normal not to know anyone in the first year. You were the one who decided that living in halls at a "proper uni" was somehow different than living in a house or flat.
                  Yes, that's because it is.

Comment

Glad the landlord acted in an admirably Capitalist way..
                    FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      UPDATE (if anyone's interested)

I'll know more later, but, as I understand it

- statements given to the police
                      - student union are totally useless and ineffective
                      - the landlord has given the scrote notice to F.O. and scrote will be moving out within the week

So the landlord saw the sense in having 2 normal people in the house rather than one ars-hole

Thanks for the replies and advice, and also for an entertaining sideshow. If my thread can claim any credit for getting OH banned, I consider it a matter of public service and it was my pleasure to have helped
                      Good result - I hoped the landlord would see sense.

Landlords of student properties know they may have to get involved in these types of issues.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X