• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Advice Needed - Student Son's housemate threatening violence !"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It will soon be 24
    Not if the mods get bored again ...

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    How is this thread 23 pages?
    You have very small pages? I only have 12.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    A university managed flat or house tends to be university managed accommodation that the university doesn't own i.e. they manage it for the landlord.

University halls whether they are catered or non-catered and whether they are houses, flats or floors are both owned and managed by the university.

Now stop fighting.
    At my university there were traditional "halls of residence" with rooms on long corridors, blocks of flats owned by the university (some of which were also referred to as halls) and various houses owned by the university (though no doubt some have done a sale and leaseback or similar so don't technically own it). It is the latter two that I am referring to as "university managed accommodation".

Now stay out of our fight
    Last edited by doodab; 26 September 2013, 16:12.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    It will soon be 24

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Seriously

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Not really. When it's a university managed house or flat the main difference is that you don't have a bar and unlike the catered halls you don't get your cooking and washing up done for you.
    A university managed flat or house tends to be university managed accommodation that the university doesn't own i.e. they manage it for the landlord.

University halls whether they are catered or non-catered and whether they are houses, flats or floors are both owned and managed by the university. In one of the universities I attended some of the university owned and managed accommodation didn't have a bar due to it's location.

Now stop fighting.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Duh.

Yes, that's because it is.
    Not really. When it's a university managed house or flat the main difference is that you don't have a bar and unlike the catered halls you don't get your cooking and washing up done for you.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    As am MP?

qh
    Yep though the ones I met ended up in a variety of professions including investment banker (though they "supported" Labour or the Greens as a student) and professional lobbyist.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    The reason they do it is to get a better job afterwards.
    As an MP?

qh

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    Not a surprise, unless your planning to vote for them at next SU election - IIRC don't they get a wage for being a Union officer? - they don't give a crap.

Good result, though.

qh
    The reason they do it is to get a better job afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    UPDATE - student union are totally useless and ineffective
    Not a surprise, unless your planning to vote for them at next SU election - IIRC don't they get a wage for being a Union officer? - they don't give a crap.

Good result, though.

qh

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    UPDATE (if anyone's interested)

I'll know more later, but, as I understand it

- statements given to the police
    - student union are totally useless and ineffective
    - the landlord has given the scrote notice to F.O. and scrote will be moving out within the week

So the landlord saw the sense in having 2 normal people in the house rather than one ars-hole

Thanks for the replies and advice, and also for an entertaining sideshow. If my thread can claim any credit for getting OH banned, I consider it a matter of public service and it was my pleasure to have helped
    Good result - I hoped the landlord would see sense.

Landlords of student properties know they may have to get involved in these types of issues.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Glad the landlord acted in an admirably Capitalist way..
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Usually it's strangers in the uni flats too, at least in first year. Then, from second year onwards you're left to find your own flatmates.
    Duh.

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    All I did was point out that it's quite normal not to know anyone in the first year. You were the one who decided that living in halls at a "proper uni" was somehow different than living in a house or flat.
    Yes, that's because it is.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    UPDATE (if anyone's interested)
    - the landlord has given the scrote notice to F.O. and scrote will be moving out within the week

So the landlord saw the sense in having 2 normal people in the house rather than one ars-hole
    I hope it pans out like this, result. with luck the next flatmate is decent. Glad the landlord acted decisively and sensibly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X