• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scuba Diving :)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scuba Diving :)

I had my first lesson at the weekend - loved it! I was lucky enough to get one to one tuition due to the time of year, and got through Confined Dives 1, 2 and 3. Another pool session next week for 4 and 5, then out into open water on the 14th and 15th for two dives. The open water dives will either be here: Chesil Beach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or here: Vobster Quay Inland Diving Centre depending on the weather.

I don't know how you divers stay out of the water, it's an amazing feeling. I'm still working on my buoyancy and air control, but getting the hang of it. I just can't wait until I can start diving with fish and seals. There's every possibility that I'll be grinning like a moron for a week after seeing a seal underwater

I'm thinking ahead to kit - any recommendations from the divers here? Wet suit or dry suit? Suit thickness? Computer, BCD etc? Places to dive?
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Diving in the UK you need a dry suit with winter on the way. For some obscure reason I did my courses in Oct-Dec and even then in a dry suit it was a comfortable dive. I guess a wet suit isn't a bad purchase as you can still use it for swimming in etc but I was too cold in one so switched. I wouldn't go out and buy all the kit yet like I did. I got bored of diving in horrible murky quarries and realised that the clubs are full of people that eat drink and sleep diving. Endless hours of talking about the best wings etc wasn't for me so I stopped bothering in the UK and stuck to social diving on holiday. Problem is I have nearly 2k worth of kit upstairs because I went a bit giddy.

Get yourself the fins and a decent set of goggles by all means but I would stick to hiring the kit to start off with until you are absolutely sure. Maybe even the neoprene head gear as the ones I borrowed didn't fit that well.

Wait till you do the night dive... Very surreal that...

Capenwray near Preston is the most popular one up here but guess that is no use..
    Capernwray Diving Centre

Will be much for fun for you on the coast. Living so far from any open water there isn't much to chose from except very cold and dark quarries.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 2 September 2013, 07:55.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Three words: Sharm el Sheikh

Comment

As NLUK said, definitely a dry suit if you plan on UK diving.

Also a good torch - you want to see anything in a decent light.

Go to the NEC Dive Show in October for any mass purchases. Dive Shows | Get set for DIVE 2013

Have fun!

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
          Three words: Sharm el Sheikh
          Four words Sharm el Sheikh sharks
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

wtf Egypt is fooked - do not go to SeS

Comment

I'm looking forward to a night dive, although I do keep hearing the Jaws theme tune in my head when swimming along!

NLUK - I think you're right about the kit, I've still got full horsey gear from when I took up riding lessons a couple of year ago but didn't carry on with it. I keep thinking I'll go back to it, but never seem to get around to it. I just have random riding boots and a whip in my cupboard

Sharm, minus the sharks, is definitely on my list. I gather the Med can be good too, and I'm possibly thinking cavern diving later on when I've a lot more experience.

Just a picture of a seal near a diver makes me grin Annoyingly I'm on holiday for the Dive Show in October, but I'll keep an eye on the website. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                wtf Egypt is fooked - do not go to SeS
                Aren't the diving areas a few hundred kms away from the trouble areas though?

Comment

yes true - home office website says https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

so you may be okay - but plenty of other areas without the risk of being bombed?

Comment

The Luxor Massacre refers to the killing of 62 people, mostly tourists, that took place on 17 November 1997, at Deir el-Bahri, an archaeological site and major tourist attraction located across the Nile River from Luxor in Egypt.

The attack is thought to have been instigated by exiled leaders of Al-Gama'a al-Islamiyya, an Egyptian Islamist organization, attempting to undermine the July 1997 "Nonviolence Initiative", devastate the Egyptian economy[2] and provoke the government into repression that would strengthen support for anti-government forces.[3] However, the attack led to internal divisions among the militants, and resulted in the declaration of a ceasefire to suspend hostilities.[4] In mid June of 2013, the group denied that it was involved in the massacre.[5] However, ex-president Morsi of Egypt, a known member of the Moslim Brotherhood who had repeatedly advocated sharia, tried to install a new governor of the Luxor region, being a member of the Moslim Brotherhood as well, who was purported to have been a leader of this group of terrorists in Deir el Bahri. After many protests from the sitting administration of Luxor against his appointment, it was annulled
                    Luxor massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X