• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scuba Diving :)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 2013, they still have armed convoys for tourists.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Can you use the horsey kit for diving somehow? Put a scuba tank on a horse?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        The reason I took up courses was after a dive in Cuba. I had only a couple of taster dives on the system but they took me straight out to 20m off a RIB with one guide for 7 of us. He had to hold on to one of the ladies as she was another nervous newbie. I hyperventilated at the surface so couldn't get down at first but they just disappeared so had no choice. I was ok once I got down but ran out of air during the dive due to not being able to get my buoyancy right so had to surface and wait for 10 mins. Bobbing about with out a boat or land in sight and couldn't see any of the guys below me.. I tulip myself big time. Booked myself in for courses as soon as I got home.
        The buoyancy is more difficult than I thought it would be, but I'm hoping it's one of those things that just suddenly works. Part of my teaching next week is the fin-pivot, which I just couldn't quite get right yesterday. I breathe in more than out, and end up slowly rising to the surface rather than pivoting on the bottom. I can understand the logic of needing it though, and generally being able to control where you are and not just sinking to the bottom and sitting there.

I think I'd have been quite worried at being taken straight out to the ocean on my first dive, let alone running out of air!

^ I'm making that my desktop background
        ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
          The buoyancy is more difficult than I thought it would be, but I'm hoping it's one of those things that just suddenly works. Part of my teaching next week is the fin-pivot, which I just couldn't quite get right yesterday. I breathe in more than out, and end up slowly rising to the surface rather than pivoting on the bottom. I can understand the logic of needing it though, and generally being able to control where you are and not just sinking to the bottom and sitting there.

I think I'd have been quite worried at being taken straight out to the ocean on my first dive, let alone running out of air!
          Gets even more fun in a dry suit as you can let air in to that as well/instead of your BCD. Kinda amusing when all the air goes to your feet and you can't let it out as the valve is on your upper arm which ends up at the bottom when it goes wrong Very funny watching all the feet appear at the surface during training sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Gets even more fun in a dry suit as you can let air in to that as well/instead of your BCD. Kinda amusing when all the air goes to your feet and you can't let it out as the valve is on your upper arm which ends up at the bottom when it goes wrong Very funny watching all the feet appear at the surface during training sessions.
            I think that's why I should maybe avoid the drysuit for now and get the hang of the BCD buoyancy first, otherwise I'll be floating all over the place!

Comment

It's good that you've done the courses here in a safe environment as you do get to hear some horror stories; Thailand in particular.

My recommendations on kit would be;
              1) Mask... spend ages trying them until you find "the one"
              2) Computer... Sunnto Gekko is a good starter unless you want to download your divelogs to a PC. It's easy to read and has a battery you can replace yourself.
              3) Wetsuit... Need to consider where you'll be doing most of your diving. I went out and bought a 5mm semidry thinking I could dive anywhere but it's too hot for most exotic locations. I picked up a cheap £20 GUL 3mm shorty that served me well for 5+ years but now if it's warm enough for that I just dive in a rash vest and shorts.
              4) BCD & Regs... Go to the Dive show and pick up a package deal based on last year's models.
              The diveshow is also a good place to pick up boots, torches, smb, bags etc...

Comment

Only ever done one dive. Went out the the Great Barrier Reef and threw up the whole way there, so missed the safety instructions and was gutted as I assumed I wouldn't be allowed to go.

But they gave me a quick run through and let me join in. Loved it, although did get slightly claustrophobic in the mask. Saw some cool coral and fish, but it was ultra touristy - there were even little signs under the water telling you what stuff was, and the fish were tame and knew they were going to be fed.

Got back on the boat and threw up all the way home again.

Went snorkelling in the Red Sea - that was cool too.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  My recommendations on kit would be;
                  1) Mask... spend ages trying them until you find "the one"
                  Deffo this. If you have a thin face try and avoid the ones with the huge eyes. They tend to be very wide so will let water in the edges as your face flexes. They look great but had to take mine back and go for something smaller. Didn't look as cool but worked a treat. The frameless ones seem to be the way forward but again watch for them being too wide.

I got mine from a local supplier I trusted rather than a show. I was able to go back and forwards to the shop and get great advice rather than making an impulse buy cause it is cheap. Dunno how much different the prices are at the shows though.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                    Places to dive?
                    Hawaii
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      Only ever done one dive. Went out the the Great Barrier Reef and threw up the whole way there, so missed the safety instructions and was gutted as I assumed I wouldn't be allowed to go.

But they gave me a quick run through and let me join in. Loved it, although did get slightly claustrophobic in the mask. Saw some cool coral and fish, but it was ultra touristy - there were even little signs under the water telling you what stuff was, and the fish were tame and knew they were going to be fed.

Got back on the boat and threw up all the way home again.

Went snorkelling in the Red Sea - that was cool too.
                      I'm impressed you still managed to enjoy it even after all that! I've heard a few stories from divers who say that certain areas are too touristy now, but they are the ones who have been diving for years, and I suppose it's the same with any natural beautyspot if you've been there a few times. I'm hoping that it'll be a few years until the novelty wears off though, and I'm not rich enough to visit wonderful dive spots enough to get bored of them quickly!

Comment

Working...
                      X