• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gutless. The stench of appeasement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    So what do we do if it is proved that one of the terrorist groups involved used chemical weapons, who do we invade then ?
    Then we don't because we'll have to find out who sold them said weapons. And I don't think invading <major nuclear power> is an option.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I thought the Labour MPs cheering after the vote was particularly distasteful.

They were acting as if they had won a vote over free eye examinations, not determining humanitarian actions to a war torn country.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

They were acting as if they had won a vote over free eye examinations, not determining humanitarian actions to a war torn country.
        Indeed. A revolting bunch of inadequates.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Let's say Assad has lost control of one of his chemical weapons depots and it's now in the hands of Al-Qaeda and their chums; Assad isn't going to shout out to the world that he's lost control of a depot as that would diminish his position and of course his planet sized ego. Britain piles in and attacks Assad's forces; wouldn't we then be assisting a force that uses chemical weapons as opposed to clamping down on a hideous regime?
          Something we can be fairly certain of is that neither the UK, the US, the Israelis or any other vaguely sensible government want this stuff falling into the wrong hands, and I doubt the Russians would be too chuffed with it happening either given their own problems with Islamic terrorists and the obvious risk to their upcoming staging of the Olympics it would present.

Regardless of our politicians track records when it comes to dealing with it, we and many other countries do spend a great deal of money gathering intelligence, and we often share it with our allies and vice versa, so while it may not be entirely accurate all of the time, the intelligence services probably do have a reasonable idea of the likelihood of this having happened.

My opinion is that if it had happened, and they knew it had happened, it would be publicised and acted upon, as the case for going to war in order to get whatever had been stolen back and ensuring security & destruction of the remaining stockpiles would be considerably stronger than the current one.

The Israelis in particular have already mounted several bombing missions and I have no doubt they would be in there like a shot if they thought the jihadists had got hold of significant quantities of chemical weapons. That is why I don't believe the rebels have access to this stuff, at least in sufficient quantity to do this sort of damage.

Of course, it might be that they do, and special forces are already in there doing the dirty work as we speak.
          Last edited by doodab; 30 August 2013, 13:05.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

As I understand it the general consensus is that the Syrian stockpiles of sarin and mustard gas are home made.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Cheering because you think a victory has been won which will avoid killing many innocents sounds quite appropriate. It's a decision which actually means something for once.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                Then we don't because we'll have to find out who sold them said weapons. And I don't think invading <major nuclear power> is an option.
                So if the Syrian regime is implicated we invade Syria, anyone else we just ignore them and invade Syria anyway

But if it was the Syrian regime the mostly likely people involved would be the palestinian terrorists proping his regime up

Terrorists aren't well known for following the rules of war, the geneva convention etc
                Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  As I understand it the general consensus is that the Syrian stockpiles of sarin and mustard gas are home made.
                  So surely they would have evidence, like pictures of Syrian airforce planes dropping bombs just before the chemicals take effect, or missiles being fired a few seconds before people start coughing their guts out? Show it. You know, I want to be persuaded, for what it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Cheering because you think a victory has been won which will avoid killing many innocents sounds quite appropriate. It's a decision which actually means something for once.
                    No, I don't think there's any place for cheering in all this.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      You reckon that's why they cheered?
                      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                      X