• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The end of the New Lie?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hart-floot
    Unless you follow the current Chinese model. A Communist regime that has largely unfettered (but not libertarian?) Capitalism. In many ways it's rather successful at the moment, lifting millions out of poverty very quickly.
    Only problem is that there are only certain areas in China that allow 'free enterprise'.

The rural areas are in no way free. Infact the Chinese have purchased a number of these -

Equipped with lethal injection tables and closed circuit TV for official witnesses to watch from remote locations.

Allows for speedy executions in rural areas. Death sentences can be carried out within an hour of sentencing.

So while millions are climbing out of poverty hundres of millions more are still viciously oppressed.
    http://nickmueller.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt
      Absolutely - that is why I am an objectivist
      I'm just a bloke trying to earn a crust
      http://nickmueller.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NickIT
        Only problem is that there are only certain areas in China that allow 'free enterprise'.

The rural areas are in no way free. Infact the Chinese have purchased a number of these -

Equipped with lethal injection tables and closed circuit TV for official witnesses to watch from remote locations.

Allows for speedy executions in rural areas. Death sentences can be carried out within an hour of sentencing.

So while millions are climbing out of poverty hundres of millions more are still viciously oppressed.
        Might free up the Criminal Justice system in this country

p.s I think i read somewhere that Texas executes about the same number of people, per head of population, as China does right now

Comment

But

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Yup.

Pardner.

And 90% of them are either black or hispanic...

Why would China execute so many black and hispanic people?
          Why not?

Comment

Government U-turn on free information

MINISTERS are to perform a U-turn on their commitment to open government by seeking to reduce the amount of information released to the public.

A confidential cabinet paper reveals that 18 months after Labour introduced laws allowing free access to government documents, it wants to block “the most difficult requests”.

The move by Lord Falconer, the constitutional affairs secretary, comes after a series of disclosures under the Freedom of Information Act have embarrassed ministers.

He is also considering introducing a flat rate fee for requests, which he argues will have a “deterrent effect” and “inhibit serial requesters”. He estimates this would cut information requests by a third.

Comment

Loadsamoney

Thatcher spawned Loadsamoney as a recognisable character, she also encouraged the creation of Rab C Nesbit. Which Harry Enfield or other characters do you think sum up the Labour years?

Remember the gap between rich and poor has widened under labour, many people have been laid off under Blair because of cheap imported labour.

I remember the plummy voices in the city slowly being replaced by people judged on merit. Now its how much of a bung can you lend to the labour party.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Davros Dahl, Mum-Ra or Ming The Mercilless
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                X