• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are your partners understanding of contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are your partners understanding of contracting?

For those of you who have partners(not Mrs Palmer ATW) how understanding are they of contracting.

I have had to cut back locations in the last few years. I used to travel anywhere but now staying away during the week is impossible, especially with the baby.

Now its, nowhere over 1.5 hours drive and now an agency wants to interview me on Friday and because I said we need to be back home on Friday as opposed to going anywhere its 'you said we had enough money blah blah blah, i want a holiday whine whine whine'

Unreasonable I think. My other half does not understand that I have to flexible to get the moolah!!! Do yours?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Since I bought my Russian bride on the ebay I've had no complaints.

Comment

Not even slightly understanding. It's the admin stuff that gets in the way as I'm only 20 mins drive from home at the moment...
      Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

I'm not allowed to work overtime and I keep being asked to work in this ruddy old town I live in - where the ONLY employer is the council (or the drug dealers). I'm also asked why I don't get a holiday allowance.

Its, frankly, enough to make anyone take a permie job.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Remember the missus being most un-understanding once. Ho hum, those were the days when I used to get up to interesting things when away on contract. Now she trusts me and the most depressing thing is that she is right to.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

So far So good with mine. Certainly appreciates the extra money and the 2 days a week "working from home" seem to go down well too

Remains to be seen what happens the first time I opick up a gig that means staying away during the week but we shall see.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Since I sold my Russian bride on the ebay I've had no complaints.

Comment

Whatever I do Mrs Dalek Supreme tells me it's wrong so I just try and stay out of the way as much as possible.

Comment

In a way you can't blame them. The government thinks we're employees (*from a tax point of view of course, not a benefits POV). They are no different from the average joe in that respect. In fact I bet if you did a survey, 90% people don't even know that NI is ~23% (i.e. employee + EMPLOYER)

Comment

fame at last !

MF,
                    A bit late I know but I'm not on here regularly enough.
                    Did you see the Bracknell Standard Newspaper ?
                    Picture of your shop and a sad star letter bemoaning your closure. Good point from the letter though.
                    In the picture you can actually see a customer
                    Was that Cojak ?

As to your thread, your Mrs is seeing the parenting game as a 50/50 split. That is why you can't seem to be "avoiding" the nappies or sleepless nights. You can always try getting the grandparents to visit more ...

Comment

Working...
                    X