• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any mad, swivel-eyed loons on here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    A for Arse-bandit?
    I'm a libertarian - whatever you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Nobody is proposing that gay marriage is made compulsory of that is what you're worried about.
      You say that, but once upon and time it was illegal. Then it was ok if you were over 25 and it was in private. Then it was ok if you were 21. Now it's ok if you're 18, and we all know it's been ok in the army for years.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        they gave the word Marriage away to the registry office marriages. If they hadn't done that then I would agree with you.
        Quite a good point IMO.

I'm happy to see the two legally harmonised with the church (of all flavours) allowed to abstain (individually) from providing ceremonies in church, after a while it will be like female bishops and the English church will eventually allow it, but that is a matter of conscience not legality.
        I agree however we discussed this a while back and apparently the CofE is obligated (literally or in practice) to marry people who want to be married, due to its links with the state (citation needed ). So it's already 'broken' in the sense they don't only marry believers which would make sense to me.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          You say that, but once upon and time it was illegal. Then it was ok if you were over 25 and it was in private. Then it was ok if you were 21. Now it's ok if you're 18, and we all know it's been ok in the army for years.
          16, I think, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, I was making a rather glib point before.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Quite a good point IMO.

I agree however we discussed this a while back and apparently the CofE is obligated (literally or in practice) to marry people who want to be married, due to its links with the state (citation needed ). So it's already 'broken' in the sense they don't only marry believers which would make sense to me.
            they are explicitly excluding the CofE in the legislation, was curious why, now I know - thanks.

I'm happy to make it a matter of conscience for all religions, it will slowly become standard for most religions. The less tolerant ones can be dealt with once the majority of churches & temples offer services for same sex marraiges.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

they are explicitly excluding the CofE in the legislation, was curious why, now I know - thanks.

I'm happy to make it a matter of conscience for all religions, it will slowly become standard for most religions. The less tolerant ones can be dealt with once the majority of churches & temples offer services for same sex marraiges.
              Unfortunately, as I understand it, C of E priests are not allowed to marry gay people, even if as a matter of conscience they choose to.

On another note, I don't understand this argument that religions may be forced one day to marry gay people whether they want to or not. AFAIK, RC churches have not been forced to marry divorcees since the Divorce Act was introduced.

On yet another note, does anyone know the position on registrars of an RC faith, and whether they currently conduct marriages between divorcees?

Comment

Unfortunately, as I understand it, C of E priests are not allowed to marry gay people, even if as a matter of conscience they choose to.

On another note, I don't understand this argument that religions may be forced one day to marry gay people whether they want to or not. AFAIK, RC churches have not been forced to marry divorcees since the Divorce Act was introduced.

On yet another note, does anyone know the position on registrars of an RC faith, and whether they currently conduct marriages between divorcees?
                I believe that there will be a time when all religions will move towards equality and there will be some that hold out through bigotry, those will need to be regulated so it doesn't become an issue. I suspect a financial incentive will help.

RC Divorce - well that is complete madness in say an abusive relationship.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I believe that there will be a time when all religions will move towards equality and there will be some that hold out through bigotry, those will need to be regulated so it doesn't become an issue. I suspect a financial incentive will help.

RC Divorce - well that is complete madness in say an abusive relationship.
                  God appears to disagree:

“Whoever divorces his wife and marries another, commits adultery against her and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery,” (Mark 10:11-12)

Comment

I've never really got religious values.
                    gay marriage is a sin, but buggering young boys is acceptable
                    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

God appears to disagree:
                      “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another, commits adultery against her and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery,” (Mark 10:11-12)
                      He actually wrote that, I'm well impressed. How do gay animals, i.e. Pigeons, ducks and penguins stand in God's eyes?
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X