• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who else here doesn't have children?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t have kids, never really planned for it, as the 2nd eldest of 7 I raised 3 in my teenage years without the “joy of it being your own” this probably affected my attitude.

Then I decided I wanted a career & material things.

Now with BBG’s MS & my MDS I am actually glad there are no kiddies.

What annoys me the most is people assume that the only reason I have not had kids must be because I can’t!! This annoys the hell out of me, I am more than a baby producing machine
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
      This annoys the hell out of me, I am more than a baby producing machine
      That's right luv, now put the kettle on, there's a dear.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Having spent most of my life thinking I'm just not the maternal type and thinking I'd never consider kids - well here I am with my 5 week-old, still super excited about it all, and ridiculously happy.

If my life had turned out any differently than it did, I'd have been fine with remaining childless. Yes, it's a great experience, but it's one that I didn't 'need'. In the sense that I think people should have kids because they want them, not because they feel they need to have them (to fill some void) or feel that it's just what you do. I wouldn't want to convince anyone to try it. Having kids isn't something you 'try out'. It's a massive commitment, so you better decide to go for it with some conviction of your own.

So in my case, I got involved with my other half who brought two kids into the relationship, having been their main caregiver all their life. Knowing that he's an involved father, knowing that having a kid with him means I wouldn't be on my own in this, would have all childrelated responsibilites split equally, would be able to continue working - yeah, that's what changed my mind. I'm still not the 'mummy-type', don't think I ever will be.

In any other circumstances, I never would have considered a child.

Either way, I'm definitely not doing this whole pregnancy and birth thing ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post

All I know, is that through kids, you find you have in you, a kind of love that you couldn't properly explain. Sounds daft, but that's about it for me.
          Exactly that.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
            I am more than a baby producing machine
            couldn't disagree more.
            I had my first kid when I was 20, and it has been one of life-goals to churn out as many more as I could. It's tiring, I agree, and costly, and childbirth is painful(to watch) but thats a price I am willing to pay.
            I stuck up for my kids and I always will.

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              Can't remember if I or anybody else asked this before.

I don't have any, no paternity leave, no grief. I certainly don't feel like I missed out although I did bring up my ex partner's boy and we're all still good friends (I setup the boy with his own recording studio biz which is doing well).

It was my choice not to have any and probably got lucky when I was younger so no wee accidents. I'm guessing those of you who do have a family wouldn't turn the clock back and choose not to have any, or am I wrong in that assumption?
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Although according to the title I should not post on this thread, I chime in anyway.

I have two girls. I would not go back and change it. I have a friend, he is married and they decided not to have children. I respect that. It is a choice everyone has to make for themselves. It is entirely their personal choice. I live my life and they live theirs.

I never though much about having or note having any or how many. My wife decided when and ..., I was just kinda participating ... no regrets...
                My mind has gone blank. I wonder if it was always that way.

Comment

I have two children, one is 4 and the other 19 months.

They have drastically changed my life:

I used to sword train 3 times a week, do exercise at least once a day (apart from Saturday). We played board/RPG games once a week or so and went to about a dozen different re-enactment and SCA events per year. I also went to several weekend LARPing events a year too.

Now I play board game or RPGs maybe once every couple of months. I sword train with my group once a fortnight although I do solo training most days. I exercise when I get the chance but I have to skip days if the kids stop me getting sleep. We went to 2 shows last year and are planning 3 this year but I will not be able to fight at one as it will be my wife's turn. I have been to 2 weekend LARPing events since my oldest was born.

However, I do not mind. I love having children. I love putting effort into them and seeing how they grow and change. I love the way that my daughter thinks I am a knight and can rescue her from anything. I love the way my son can make himself understood by saying variations of doo-dah. I cannot wait to share things with and see where their passions take them.

I had no need for children, until my wife wanted them I had no interest and never have had but now I have them I think they are awesome.
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                    I have two children, one is 4 and the other 19 months.

They have drastically changed my life:

I used to sword train 3 times a week, do exercise at least once a day (apart from Saturday). We played board/RPG games once a week or so and went to about a dozen different re-enactment and SCA events per year. I also went to several weekend LARPing events a year too.

Now I play board game or RPGs maybe once every couple of months. I sword train with my group once a fortnight although I do solo training most days. I exercise when I get the chance but I have to skip days if the kids stop me getting sleep. We went to 2 shows last year and are planning 3 this year but I will not be able to fight at one as it will be my wife's turn. I have been to 2 weekend LARPing events since my oldest was born.

However, I do not mind. I love having children. I love putting effort into them and seeing how they grow and change. I love the way that my daughter thinks I am a knight and can rescue her from anything. I love the way my son can make himself understood by saying variations of doo-dah. I cannot wait to share things with and see where their passions take them.

I had no need for children, until my wife wanted them I had no interest and never have had but now I have them I think they are awesome.
                    I think this is the point I was trying to make in the previous thread, in which I got too derailed arguing, and was possibly out of line. Until you actually have kids, you can't really understand the change that happens in you. I really, really didn't want kids and met a woman whom, we both understood, couldn't have them, and then she fell pregnant, and the rest, as they say is history.

I've been away this week, and drove like a lunatic on the chance I could make it home before bedtime. Getting home, i peered into the bathroom and all 3 girls were brushing their teeth and messing around. A normal everyday scene in most households, but one that can genuinely bring a tear of happiness. It's a strange feeling, which I cannot explain, but you just can't explain that kind of love.

Comment

I think I'm one of the few people here in a traditional marriage who does not have and does not want kids?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X