• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who else here doesn't have children?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't & I have to confess I find the subject a bit awkward as people raise the subject of my not having kids so readily - even people I don't know that well. I've even met a few who think not having kids is a selfish thing - probably a grain of truth there but I don't really need to be told it...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I agree with your first point.. must admit I haven't met many people in your second point but there is another set I cannot stand. Those that need to analyse why I don't have kids.. in great detail. They can't understand why I haven't so try and make up excuses for me while asking loads of questions. Very uncomfortable and annoying. I just haven't would enough of an answer for most, but not this set..'Do you not want them 'do you regret it' blah blah..
      Very rude, isn't it.

I find it very strange what people think they can say, particularly smug parents.

Bloke at work asked whether I'd be out getting drunk tonight, for my birthday. I said no, as obvs have my son at home. This bloke already knows from previous awkward conversations that I'm a single parent, but asked me again today if 'dad' is around to 'at least give you a night off'. I said no, with a smile that I hoped would close that conversation off. Alas no; he asked why not. I don't know why people think they can be so fcking nosy.

[rant over]
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Oops, alzheimer's is a bitch.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I agree with your first point.. must admit I haven't met many people in your second point but there is another set I cannot stand. Those that need to analyse why I don't have kids.. in great detail. They can't understand why I haven't so try and make up excuses for me while asking loads of questions. Very uncomfortable and annoying. I just haven't would enough of an answer for most, but not this set..'Do you not want them 'do you regret it' blah blah..
          I have another, people that ask 'when are you two getting married?'

Fook off!!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            I have another, people that ask 'when are you two getting married?'

Fook off!!
            Very good point!! We have that as well.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post

I dislike people with kids wanging on to non kid people about how great it is to have kids.
              Kids usually come along when people are not doing enough wanging..

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                Very rude, isn't it.

I find it very strange what people think they can say, particularly smug parents.

Bloke at work asked whether I'd be out getting drunk tonight, for my birthday. I said no, as obvs have my son at home. This bloke already knows from previous awkward conversations that I'm a single parent, but asked me again today if 'dad' is around to 'at least give you a night off'. I said no, with a smile that I hoped would close that conversation off. Alas no; he asked why not. I don't know why people think they can be so fcking nosy.

[rant over]
                He was actually enquiring if you had been 'getting a lot' and were you presently 'getting any' and did you fancy 'getting a litte'.

You've been out of the game for a while, you need to recognise the signs.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

There is a special joy in having kids, no doubt about it.

But the fact that CH asks this again means that he is feeling a sad gap where his 'would be kids' should be.
                  So in the spirit of friendship, Anglo-Scots relations and fair play, I am willing, if he fills the adoption paperwork in, to let him have a few of my little bastids

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    I am willing, if he fills the adoption paperwork in, to let him have a few of my little bastids
                    Do they come with the £3.4K bank accounts you've just credited them with?

Comment

I have kids and I had them late as I didn't want to have kids initially. We actually thought my wife wasn't able to have kids, but them Me and he Mrs went off to work in Aus on a contract, and she fell pregnant, pretty much, as soon as we got there. Doctors reckon it was a release of stress that did it. Now the only part that saddens me, is that I will be 63 when my youngest starts (hopefully) uni. It's one of those strange inner questions: like Spacecadet, I sometimes wish I had kids sooner, but then I start thinking about the life I had before them, which was really good, and led me to the stage where I had kids, one of them sliding door questions you find yourself asking: what would have happened if I had kids aged 25?

All I know, is that through kids, you find you have in you, a kind of love that you couldn't properly explain. Sounds daft, but that's about it for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X