• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Easter Latin Quiz

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Yep,

Literally

Pilate truthfully said to them: for what evil has he done? At this they shouted more: crucify him.
    The translators of the King James Bible disagree with your definition of "literally"

Comment

Pilatus vero dicebat illis: Quid enim mali fecit? At illi magis clamabant: Crucifige eum.

Mark 15.14
      I've always found it weird that if I look at Latin, I can generally figure out roughly what it says, without ever having learned it. This was a fairly easy example... one key word and everything fell into place.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        literally
        The supposed 'reality' might be more of an issue.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I've always found it weird that if I look at Latin, I can generally figure out roughly what it says, without ever having learned it. This was a fairly easy example... one key word and everything fell into place.
          I always felt like that despite studying it at school for five years. Nobody was more surprised than me when I got an A in the O Level.

Comment

The translators of the King James Bible disagree with your definition of "literally"
            Theirs isn't literal, most translations aren't as the idioms are different and the translators agenda takes a place. Also they may (guessing) have used the Greek original as well. the Vulgate itself is a translation into the 'vulgar' tongue, basically a Janet and John version which has none of the sophistication or artistry of classical Latin or for that mind the KJ bible.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
              **** this for a game of soldiers?
              Cigar duly awarded.

"Concuspice" is possibly dog latin, but it translaes literally as "be with Cupid" and is the root of "conscuspience". The other, possibly more classical option is the Latin "fornicate" (as in for-nee-car-tay*) which is a bit of a giveaway.

* Yes, I know, I use the Cambridge pronunciation...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Actually they and I may have missed a trick, the two speaking verbs dicebat and clamabant are both in the imperfect tense which is used for uncompleted actions in the past or the near past, but also for repeated actions in the past (I have missed this a few times in my OU work). So a more forceful translation could well be:

Pilate truthfully kept saying to them: for what evil has he done? At this they kept shouting more: crucify him.

Changes the image of what was occurring more in Pilate's favour don't you think?
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Then Pilate said unto them, Why, what evil hath he done? And they cried out the more exceedingly, Crucify him.

Tough crowd
                  I've had heckers worse than that..

Pilate truthfully said to them: for what evil has he done? At this they shouted more: crucify him.
                  Google translate has it as:

Then Pilate said unto them, Why, what evil hath he done? But they cried out the more: Crucify him.

Comment

Working...
                  X