• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who wants to be a millionaire?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was asked to be a phone a friend for a chap at a client co years ago. He failed the selection process though so I never got as far as finding out what was involved.
    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Firstly, it's against the rules, and as the case of the coughing showed they're quite strict if they suspect anything of that kind. Secondly, there really isn't much time: of the thirty seconds, about ten are spent repeating the question and making sure it's been clearly understood. It might be possible to Google it in the remaining time, but it wouldn't be easy. (Also, you'd probably give yourself away, as it isn't actually easy to fake thinking out loud about it while doing something else.)

But primarily they rely on people having a sense of honour and abiding by the rules, or at least they did when I was nervously awaiting the call.
      I thought the friends were roped into going to a studio somewhere, as the phone always seems to ring the same number of times before they answer and the sound level on the line seems pretty uniform for a genuine phone call.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        I don't think I could survive on Millionaire without punching Chris Tarrant, to be honest.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          I thought the friends were roped into going to a studio somewhere, as the phone always seems to ring the same number of times before they answer and the sound level on the line seems pretty uniform for a genuine phone call.
          No; the contestant calls you to remind you of the rules late afternoon. Then somebody rings to tell you when recording is starting, and then again to tell you they're going in the hot seat. (There's about a twenty minute gap between the close shot of Chris Tarrant saying "Let's play..." with his arm round their shoulder and the long shot of them walking to the chairs to start, during which they attach the microphone and touch up the makeup.) After that, you wait.

Recording of a one hour show takes up to three hours, and you get no further warning: when the phone rings it's Chris Tarrant on the other end, just as you see on the show. They probably edit the number of rings if necessary, but then again, the friend at home is going to be hovering over the phone on tenterhooks anyway.

I shut myself in my bedroom, having given strict orders to my housemates not to make any noise, and laid on my bed watching TV with the sound off while I waited. Couldn't remember any of what I'd watched afterwards

Comment

Wait a year or two, and with all the global money printing we'll all be millionaires.

Comment

Getting a bit ahead of myself here, but are the winnings taxable? Doesn't seem clear cut.

Audition is on Friday - it says one should 'dress to impress'. Think I might need a lunchtime shopping trip

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Getting a bit ahead of myself here, but are the winnings taxable? Doesn't seem clear cut.

Audition is on Friday - it says one should 'dress to impress'. Think I might need a lunchtime shopping trip
                I believe the UK is one of the few countries were winnings are not taxable.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

WeekS. All that lovely dosh will be yours.

Good luck!
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    No; the contestant calls you to remind you of the rules late afternoon. Then somebody rings to tell you when recording is starting, and then again to tell you they're going in the hot seat. (There's about a twenty minute gap between the close shot of Chris Tarrant saying "Let's play..." with his arm round their shoulder and the long shot of them walking to the chairs to start, during which they attach the microphone and touch up the makeup.) After that, you wait.

Recording of a one hour show takes up to three hours, and you get no further warning: when the phone rings it's Chris Tarrant on the other end, just as you see on the show. They probably edit the number of rings if necessary, but then again, the friend at home is going to be hovering over the phone on tenterhooks anyway.

I shut myself in my bedroom, having given strict orders to my housemates not to make any noise, and laid on my bed watching TV with the sound off while I waited. Couldn't remember any of what I'd watched afterwards
                    Tulip! That sounds more stressful than being a contestant

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Bloody hell !!! Are we finally going to have a CUK millionaire ? None more deserving than Muddy.

Just make sure the dress shows a bit of cleavage and some legs
                      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                      X