• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who wants to be a millionaire?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what stops the "phone a friend" friend just googling the answer?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Excellent! That would be a nice amount to walk away with.
      Originally posted by Troll View Post
      what stops the "phone a friend" friend just googling the answer?
      Firstly, it's against the rules, and as the case of the coughing showed they're quite strict if they suspect anything of that kind. Secondly, there really isn't much time: of the thirty seconds, about ten are spent repeating the question and making sure it's been clearly understood. It might be possible to Google it in the remaining time, but it wouldn't be easy. (Also, you'd probably give yourself away, as it isn't actually easy to fake thinking out loud about it while doing something else.)

But primarily they rely on people having a sense of honour and abiding by the rules, or at least they did when I was nervously awaiting the call.

Comment

So the hardest part will be getting selected at the auditions - no idea how many people they're seeing, but I was given a choice of 3 slots, with 12-15 people at each.
        If you don't know, try to sound funny / educated at the audition - they are looking for people who make good TV, not necessarily those that will do well. It's a balance between the two.

IIRC, the audition for millionaire used to have a tie-break question which was always about what kind of educated guess you could make (eg the biggest diamond ever found in carats, how many pubs are there called the King's Head in the UK, that kind of thing). You need to come up with an answer quickly, but be pretty good at it as well.

I don't think I could survive on Millionaire without punching Chris Tarrant, to be honest.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          If you don't know, try to sound funny / educated at the audition - they are looking for people who make good TV, not necessarily those that will do well. It's a balance between the two.

IIRC, the audition for millionaire used to have a tie-break question which was always about what kind of educated guess you could make (eg the biggest diamond ever found in carats, how many pubs are there called the King's Head in the UK, that kind of thing). You need to come up with an answer quickly, but be pretty good at it as well.

I don't think I could survive on Millionaire without punching Chris Tarrant, to be honest.
          hehe - there is that.

I don't think they do the tiebreak now - that was how they used to run it, a phone call - no auditions. I'll be a bit peed off if I go up to London just to be asked how tall the Eiffel tower is. I'm not good at funny, and fear if I try I'll just look a pratt! Will see how it goes - the youtube episode I watched had a a very loud beautician on it - I'm the polar opposite.

Comment

hehe - there is that.

I don't think they do the tiebreak now - that was how they used to run it, a phone call - no auditions. I'll be a bit peed off if I go up to London just to be asked how tall the Eiffel tower is. I'm not good at funny, and fear if I try I'll just look a pratt! Will see how it goes - the youtube episode I watched had a a very loud beautician on it - I'm the polar opposite.
            When I did 15-to-1, the audition was all past questions, but they wanted to see if you could make an educated guess if you didn't know the answer. Regardless of whether you know it or not, having a good guess is a good thing. Be prepared for the audition to be full of people who pretty much make a living from doing this kind of thing - I was chatting to someone who the previous week had won £70k on that quiz show that Kilroy used to do (Shafted? something like that)
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              When I did 15-to-1, the audition was all past questions, but they wanted to see if you could make an educated guess if you didn't know the answer. Regardless of whether you know it or not, having a good guess is a good thing. Be prepared for the audition to be full of people who pretty much make a living from doing this kind of thing - I was chatting to someone who the previous week had won £70k on that quiz show that Kilroy used to do (Shafted? something like that)
              When my brother was on WWTBAM, one guy was on his third appearance, not having previously made it to the hot seat (after you've made it there you can't appear again). The guy won the first FFF and finally took his place in the hot seat… where he ballsed up the £32,000 question and left with £1,000

Comment

You have quite an unusual job (for a woman), you've done LEJOG, you've been known to come out with the odd witticism and you are a CUK uni challenge champ. It's a shoo-in.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                  You have quite an unusual job (for a woman), you've done LEJOG, you've been known to come out with the odd witticism and you are a CUK uni challenge champ. It's a shoo-in.
                  Yep - as long as I get asked who invented the hovercraft I'm sorted!

Actually, I surprised myself in the phone interview by getting the football question right.

Comment

They wouldn't let me on because I wanted Peter Sutcliffe to be my phone a fiend

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                      you are a CUK uni challenge champ. It's a shoo-in.

Comment

Working...
                      X