• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Living Wage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    It looks as though you've been reading "The Wealth of Nations" whilst ignoring the bits about the importance of morality.
    Yep, and Adam Smith's 'Theory of Moral Sentiments' is worth reading too. Sort of complimentary to Wealth off Nations; don't read one without the other and remember that it's only one viewpoint; there are many other ways to analyse situations.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      Have you ever run a business where you have to find enough money each month to meet the payroll?...
      No, because we made tons of money.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Knowing people in some of those countries listed, the tax take may look lower but it doesn't include indirect taxes, wages and the cost of living.

For example in NZ lots of skilled workers earn less than their counterparts in the UK but the cost of living is the same.

Plus the way their tax laws are written you can't work as we do here.
        Those aren't tax rates. They're tax revenues as a % of GDP.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
          Ahh now I'm not blaming immigrants as given my experience if I was running a business I would probably hire them due to their work ethic, the difference is like I do here I send a substantial chunk of my money back to the UK so you're in a situation where a lot of money wouldn't be going back into the country (the UK that is)

But immigration controls here are a lot tighter than the UK so the effect here would be very minimal I suppose
          Me too. The immigrants are the only ones willing to do the low paid tulipty jobs. People in this country can't be arsed because they'd rather claim benefits and wait for the dream job to arrive in their lap.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Me too. The immigrants are the only ones willing to do the low paid tulipty jobs. People in this country can't be arsed because they'd rather claim benefits and wait for the dream job of being paid to do sod all at home to arrive in their lap.
            FTFY
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

People in this country can't be arsed because they'd rather claim benefits and wait for the dream job to arrive in their lap.
              How likely is that to happen ...... um ......... er ................ never
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Me too. The immigrants are the only ones willing to do the low paid tulipty jobs. People in this country can't be arsed because they'd rather claim benefits and wait for the dream job to arrive in their lap.
                Recruitment agent?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Recruitment agent?
                  My son was offered a job in recruitment and I told him to only do it as a last resort. Fortunately he has landed a proper job
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    My son was offered a job in recruitment and I told him to only do it as a last resort. Fortunately he has landed a proper job
                    The Dodgy family's going up in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      The Dodgy family's going up in the world!
                      Yes the son is now a dustman.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X