• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cost of flights to USA :-(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Where in the USA... that sounds expensive for East Coast but not especially for West Coast.

The upgrade prices vary like the normal prices do over time, how far ahead are you booking? When we flew to SF I seem to recall the upgrade to PE was a much smaller percentage of the economy cost - we could have gone Upper for double the economy price.

Of course you could consider other airlines and routes - are you going direct or is a change acceptable?

PE on Virgin was nice but not that much nicer - I'm slim so the wider seat isn't a massive bonus!
    Im chunky so the wider seat is better....

(but then I'd sit on a crate if it was cheaper - unfortunately the mrs dont think like that!)
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Florida
      We flew BA to Florida, had a baby so got the seats at the front with heaps of leg room. We knew this so didn't bother getting premium economy or whatever it is called now.

Miami is as expensive to fly to as the West Coast as it takes about the same time: 9 hours.

One other option, you may not have thought about, is to look at flying out of Schripol or Paris, as Air France and KLM are cheaper from their own hubs. Much cheaper. You'd, ironically, fly to Heathrow first, then Miami, but it was a lot cheaper last time we looked.

Comment

We flew to the states this year, we managed to get much cheaper upgrades (300 for both) at the desk as we checked in, you should try that as they usually have a few spare. Much more space and laptop plug etc all made for a more pleasant experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
          One other option, you may not have thought about, is to look at flying out of Schripol or Paris, as Air France and KLM are cheaper from their own hubs. Much cheaper. You'd, ironically, fly to Heathrow first, then Miami, but it was a lot cheaper last time we looked.
          Not sure this is the case these days as you have to pay two lots of in/out taxes. That said, I always prefer flying AF/KLM as a) I'm only 15mins from my local airport and b) I have Super status with Skyteam meaning that even though I'm sat in cattle, I can get lego in the lounge before and sleep the whole way. Or if flying solo I get Prem Econ for free.

Comment

Here we go.... 15 pages to make a decision based on something there is f'all you can do about...
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

{{sigh}}

Another 15 pages of NLUK taking it personally that space is being wasted on HIS personal forum. FFS mate - dont ******* read the thread then and do something else!
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                {{sigh}}

Another 15 pages of NLUK taking it personally that space is being wasted on HIS personal forum. FFS mate - dont ******* read the thread then and do something else!
                psychocandy

Try the foreign airlines, from their own hubs, some are defintely cheaper from a quick perusal. Would also be a ncie way to start a holiday, with a mini holiday!

Comment

Travelsupermarket are showing LHR => MIA Premium Economy in Sept for £996

Comment

Just went to KLM:

Departing 1st Sept returning 15th, 2 people.

Totaalprijs voor alle passagiers EUR 1.218,54

That really is a hefty saving, and with one change at Atlanta.

£990 for two people. That's less than you were quoted for one!

Might end of there myself next year...
                    Last edited by Old Hack; 5 December 2012, 13:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                      If you start thinking about it, then you'll never go, as for 2 people, it's almost £3k, £5-6k lost earnings, and the £4k you'll spend out there, makes it an expensive 2 weeks.

I spent 6 weeks touring France and Spain this year. Once we factored in loss of earnings, we decided never to do it again....
                      Its best to try and not factor in lost earnings. It does make you weep when you realise how much a holiday can cost.

Have a look at opodo for your flights and then look to see if the carrier is on quidco and earn some cash back.

We would have gone back to florida in '13 but the flights and car were ~ £5k. then the villa, passes etc so we have opted for somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                      X