• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zero Hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zero Hours

Public sector causes confusion by saying everyone must be caught by IR35, then decides on offering zero hours contracts which have no "mutuality of obligation" shocker

Zero hours contracts for NHS staff
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

The aim of zero hours contracts, which are sometimes known as casual contracts, is not to contract with, and pay, individuals to work a set number of hours per week, but to use and to pay individuals only as and when required.
    lets rewrite this Doublespeak :

The aim of zero hours contracts, .. is to restrict an individuals rights to work without supplying a reasonable wage
    as pointed out the MOO is insufficient and I look forward to the first GCHQ employee who is found moonlighting for the Ruskies and gets off because our government is too tight to pay them.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I would prefer to have several 0 hour contracts and then work when I wanted.

Check the internet in the morning and go to work when I feel like it.

Why not.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

I'd like that but I suspect that's not what employers want, as they want you to fit in with them, not the other way around. I would imagine that they'ed have something in their contracts stating that you must be exclusively assigned to them (at their beck and call) - wanting their cake and eating it...

Isn't this what scuppered G4S for the Olympics?
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          I would prefer to have several 0 hour contracts and then work when I wanted.

Check the internet in the morning and go to work when I feel like it.

Why not.
          doesn't work that way because in each contract they specifically restrict your right to work for anyone else. These contracts aren't aimed at your Gynaecologist they are for cleaners & nurses limiting their work options without paying them anything.

The fact that Maccy D's and similar spearheaded this style of contract should ring alarm bells.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            doesn't work that way because in each contract they specifically restrict your right to work for anyone else. These contracts aren't aimed at your Gynaecologist they are for cleaners & nurses limiting their work options without paying them anything.

The fact that Maccy D's and similar spearheaded this style of contract should ring alarm bells.
            Not according to the article:

The individual's guaranteed 40-hour week is gone. He or she is only paid for the hours actually worked. Also, the employer's guaranteed access to the individual is gone - as they do not even have to turn up to work.

So critically, the employer's guaranteed ability to deliver the work disappears because the individual is not obliged to work. The employer cannot guarantee that the individual will do the work. This is why zero hours contracts normally go hand-in-hand with "banks" of employees, so that if one individual says no, there will always be someone else on hand to say yes.
            The NHS allows its medical staff to do private practice, so if they're not obliged to work they can do private practice.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 19 September 2012, 08:52.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

A so called zero hours contract does not necessarily mean that individuals do not have employment rights, it depends on what happens in practise and whether or not there is continuity of employment. There was a recent employment tribunal (pulse healthcare v something) where 4 care workers were working under a zero hours contract but they were found to have been unfairly dismissed and they were considered to have been employed under a contract of employment
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Intellectual property, disclosure and availability will all be imposed by employer, these are aimed at low skill workers without access to decent legal advice.

Whether they have the right to do so is a moot point, the reality is that its about shafting low paid employees.

You might be able to get a contract for services from multiple customers, these guys are being given a contract for service with one employer without any uplift in rate.

Comment

Yes but the discussion is about highly skilled staff. You can shaft a McDonalds employee but not a Doctor. It makes sense. Having Doctors work where they're needed rather than hanging around the hospital not doing very much because the Hispital would like to offer a Cardiology service isn't very efficient. Much better to have pools of Doctors working where they're needed. If anything it's the Doctors who shaft the NHS not the other way round. Doctors yield a lot of power because they're experts you can't just push around.

Of course it's true that senor Doctors shaft junior Doctors but then the junior Doctors look forward to shafting when they get older. Senior Doctors use their positions in the NHS as way to pull private practice.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 19 September 2012, 09:26.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BBC
                    Zero hours contracts ... are inextricably linked with low-paid jobs, a lack of employment rights and only being paid for the work you actually do. ... However, zero hours contracts have rarely been used for highly skilled white collar staff. They are normally restricted to low-skilled jobs, such as catering, cleaning and security.
                    Isn't a normal contracting gig (which is for highly skilled, highly [over]paid workers) done on a zero-hours basis? Or is there a special part to it the BBC don't mention?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X