• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being nasty to newbies in the professional forums

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html

I haven't been arsed enough to update the videos though.
    Lol well when I joined I just got straight to be kicked in the forum, maybe it should be renamed to "Newbies Start here", "Most asked questions" etc rather than Welcome. I'm trying to be productive which is unsual for me. It's also towards the bottom why not put it at the top?
    Last edited by The Spartan; 17 September 2012, 13:57. Reason: added a question
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Nope, I don't get this. I was agreeing with your previous post by showing the form that I use. So what does this mean, or are you disagreeing with your own post??

Or maybe you just disagree with anything I post...
      My mistake, I thought the thing you quoted WAS part of the welcome to CUK email.

No disagreement!
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Good argument, terrible analogy. They do not come on to discuss. They come on and ask a question and want an answer, often an answer they want to hear not the real answer. There is a balance I agree but questions on 24 month rule, where to get contracts reviewed, can I pay pension out of business are not discussions we need to have again.
        I think you must have forgotten what it is like to come onto a forum as a newbie. You see about 100,000 threads and your thinking wooohh, where do I start? What forum do I use? Who do I ask. You get into the forum by asking what you may consider a silly question, but to them it is the mother of all questions.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          If I have to spend half an hour trawling to find something, and the bloke next to me probably knows the answer, I wll ask him.
          It's not being lazy, it's being cunning and detective-like and smart

all the best people do it

Unfortunately that show of initiative doesn't work on CUK.

However newbies who show they have attempted to use search and have got confused by all the 28 threads or found the threads old, tend to get a better response.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            I think you must have forgotten what it is like to come onto a forum as a newbie. You see about 100,000 threads and your thinking wooohh, where do I start? What forum do I use? Who do I ask. You get into the forum by asking what you may consider a silly question, but to them it is the mother of all questions.
            I think that is the best post you have put up so far and is very true indeed. That is probably exactly the issue and on reflection I am getting tetchier and tetchier. A point I will genuinely take on board.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              ****** hell - I'd struggle if my cock was only 7.5 "
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                ****** hell - I'd struggle if my cock was only 7.5 "
                I think it was the nerve damage leading to the difficulties in having children which effected the size of the payout.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  I think it was the nerve damage leading to the difficulties in having children which effected the size of the payout.
                  Maybe we should be a little nicer. I mean if you're having a drink with your fellow contractor in real life and someone comes over, finds you contract, asks a potentially standard question, you wouldn't tell him to sod off and google it ffs n00b?
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Unfortunately that show of initiative doesn't work on CUK.

However newbies who show they have attempted to use search and have got confused by all the 28 threads or found the threads old, tend to get a better response.
                    Good point... that's why a lot of my posts start with the words - "I have used search but...".
                    Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

I have to agree very strongly with MF. I have made no secret of it that I find NLUK's posts incredibly tiresome, not only because he stifles the new comers (if everyone just read the search and didnt post this would be one dull forum), but because he feels he has to reply to a thread he knows nothing about, and has to be the first to reply, and often having misread the question anyway.

My solution to this has been to put him on ignore and with the recent extra code to add into Adblock this means I dont even see him being on ignore, which is really sad in a way. As Im sure he thinks on some level he is helping and making a positive contribution to the forum.

Comment

Working...
                      X