• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freak Weather due to Ice Caps melting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    This year will be a barbeque summer, and snow will be a thing of the past
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

One of the disadvantages of t'internet I find, is that all those thickos of slightly above, average or less intelligence, the ones who didn't do too well at school and who would be incapable of pursuing a rigorous course of logical study, are now free to post the random vapourings that emanate from their neuronally challenged craniums.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
        Aw man, BlasterBates is going to go into meltdown over this. Don't try and bring fact into his argument, he'll go all mental on you.

The increase in rain in Minestrone´s part of the world, Scotland, is balanced out by areas with less rain, for example the North-East. In some areas there has been an increase and other areas there has been a decrease.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/...ate_trends.pdf

Probably due to the slow shift in the climate which has been going on for hundreds of years, exemplified by Alpine glaciers which have been receding for 300 or 400 years, well before the industrial revolution.

The fact there is a less in some places and more in others makes a complete mockery of some CO2 generated global weirding and has more to do with long term variation.

This is the thing people latch on to a simple statistic and draw the wrong conclusion.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          One of the disadvantages of t'internet I find, is that all those thickos of slightly above, average or less intelligence, the ones who didn't do too well at school and who would be incapable of pursuing a rigorous course of logical study, are now free to post the random vapourings that emanate from their neuronally challenged craniums.
          at least you dont resort to insults and ad-homs like some of them other fellows

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            The increase in rain in Minestrone´s part of the world, Scotland, is balanced out by areas with less rain, for example the North-East. In some areas there has been an increase and other areas there has been a decrease.

Probably due to the slow shift in the climate which has been going on for hundreds of years, exemplified by Alpine glaciers which have been receding for 300 or 400 years, well before the industrial revolution.

The fact there is a less in some places and more in others makes a complete mockery of some CO2 generated global weirding and has more to do with long term variation.

This is the thing people latch on to a simple statistic and draw the wrong conclusion.
            I refer you to my previous post.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

I hear your arguments, for me though, I still think its too much of a micro view, the whole climate change argument is about the most severe areas seeing effects first, UK is in a temperate zone (at the moment) so its not the area to be looking at on either side of the fence.

Look at the fringes, such as the equator - Australia , Polynesian islands , Northern America (Yukon, NW Territory, Labrador etc) and you get a different picture.

For me, the biggest threat to the human population is the overpopulation we're experiencing due to advances in medicine and a strange cost to peace. Emmissions rise you could argue, but it's definately putting a big strain on the worlds ability to feed us. I believe the shortage of fresh water is a major concern.

We've jumped threads It's like the chicken fight in Family Guy, just forumised.
              Last edited by Scoobos; 12 July 2012, 11:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                For me, the biggest threat to the human population is the overpopulation we're experiencing due to advances in medicine and a strange cost to peace.
                Not really given that most of the worlds engergy is expended meeting the demands of only the top few percent
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post

Look at the fringes, such as the equator - Australia , Polynesian islands , Northern America (Yukon, NW Territory, Labrador etc) and you get a different picture.
                  maybe so.
                  maybe we could look at the Northwest passage. I believe now that it is open during the summer ,(according to the CAGW hype), we should see some real evidence of melting ice caps

zero, nada, zilch

no ships in the north west passage in the summer ? maybe its not open at all

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

For the benefit of the zealots who think the science is settled and the climate models are perfection personified. Different newspaper, same source:

What is going on? According to experts at the Met Office, the jet stream has a lot to answer for. The jet stream is a fast-flowing ribbon of air high in the atmosphere that pushes weather systems from west to east, across the Atlantic towards Europe. Disturbances to the jet stream have brought a succession of depressions across the country. Typically, the northern hemisphere jet stream lies to the north of Britain, placing those areas of rain-bringing low pressure over Scandinavia instead of the UK.

Or, as Michael Lawrence at the Met Office put it: "These areas of low pressure are hitting the UK as a whole instead of giving us the glancing blows you would usually expect in summer."

And what a summer. More than twice the average rainfall hit the UK in April. June was the wettest since records began, and the start of July has seen a month's rain fall in 24 hours in some parts of the south-west.

The bad weather has stuck and shows little sign of shifting, according to Helen Chivers at the Met Office. "The jet stream can get bends in it, it can get distorted, which can move us into a blocked pattern, like the dry weather we saw in winter … and the wet weather we are seeing now."

What is affecting these changes in the jet stream is the million-dollar question, said Chivers. Variations could be caused by temperature changes in the Pacific, but meteorologists are also studying how shifts in the Earth's temperature, caused by global warming, affect weather conditions.

"A lot of work is being done into the decrease in Arctic sea ice," said Chivers. "Essentially, if you warm up a sea, you change the temperature differential between the poles and the tropics and that in turn influences the jet stream. Research has already shown the influence on north-west Europe winters, making them drier and colder, but what happens in the summer is still relatively unknown."

So can we expect to see more wet summers in the (dreary) future? Peter Stott, head of climate monitoring and attribution at the Met Office, said the recent bad weather could be ascribed to the natural variability of the weather. "But climate change could be making things worse, because the globally warmer atmosphere now carries 4% more moisture over the oceans than in the 1970s and this could be leading to increased rainfall in weather systems."

The only aspect of the impact of climate change on the weather that most academics would agree on is the need for more research.

Freak storms, flash floods, record rain
                    Emphasis mine just to make things abundantly clear. It's complicated and is not settled, it may be weather, it may be climate change, it may be ice melting, it may not be. As I stated and drew the attention of a climate change zealot in doing so, we need testable predictions, and what better than a major global weather pattern such as the jet stream. It's not impressive fitting theory to facts after the event.

HTH BIKIW

Cretins

Dr David Schultz, at the centre for atmospheric science at the University of Manchester, noted that a glance at the UKCIP (the UK Climate Impacts Programme) maps predicting long-term climate temperature and precipitation suggest warmer temperatures and slightly drier conditions on average. "There is a probability that it could be wetter, though. The climate model predictions allow that possibility," he said.
                    And predicting every possibility isn't impressive either.
                    Last edited by TimberWolf; 12 July 2012, 11:34.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                      maybe so.
                      maybe we could look at the Northwest passage. I believe now that it is open during the summer ,(according to the CAGW hype), we should see some real evidence of melting ice caps

zero, nada, zilch

no ships in the north west passage in the summer ? maybe its not open at all

I'm a bit lost by this EO me old mukka.

There's always been ships through the NW passage in summer, they use icebreakers in other seasons too dont they?

(I've done that trip quite a few times , as its the main commuter route for residents of Juneau to get back to mainland USA)

I'm missing the point I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X