• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RBS 'Computer Glitch'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    It will be offshore.
    Making such bold assumptions with no evidence is just daft. Of course the chances are fairly high it is that way so you can come back and crow "I told you so" but in reality you're guessing and hoping the odds make you look astute.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Is it wrong to hope for big headlines in the papers saying 'RBS/Natwest system breakdown caused by offshore IT company'?
      Course it's wrong - That would be "racist" !
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        It doesn't matter a damn who wrote the code, the people testing and reviewing and managing deployment/backup and emergency scenarios are the ones who are to blame and I very much doubt those roles are all off-shored.
        All code has bugs - Bobcode might be more buggy but eventually even a team of ace developers will drop clangers. And even if the bugs don't get detected, not having adequate disaster recovery can't really be blamed on Bob.

To automatically suggest a major problem is down to offshore devs is borderline racist really.
        You still live in hope regardless of experience don't you. This disaster has Bob's name all over it and it wouldn't surprise me if it gets worse before it gets better as the "fixes" get more and more panicky
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          It will be offshore.

And I never said it would be dev.
          +1 day to day operations is not development and this is day to day operations (just with added disaster movie elements at the moment).
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I have a feeling that there are some retired developers getting some very anxious phone calls at this very moment.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Making such bold assumptions with no evidence is just daft. Of course the chances are fairly high it is that way so you can come back and crow "I told you so" but in reality you're guessing and hoping the odds make you look astute.
              doogie, you are the guy who has this down to code issues already. Assumptions galore in that one.

I will be proven right in the end as I know the company., you don't know jack sh1t.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
                Its still bust I can't transfer any £ between my accounts and direct debits due to go out yesterday have not, I can't even view my accounts online though I can login. Wasn't bothered about it before as I thought a day to sort may be so should be ok on Wednesday but no still bust and when I called them today said they can't even promise it to be ok for Monday.
                I managed to do it on my iphone....

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  Did anyone listen to Radio 4 at lunch time

Some "expert" being interviewed blamed it on "Banking systems which have been in place since the 70's which haven't been replaced yet and are starting to creak"
                  I mentioned in a previous post about an MS Access Error ASP error.....

Comment

I reckon there's been a huge electronic bank run and they are fecked, remember the people with the real money know about stuff that you and I will see on the news net week.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                      I have a feeling that there are some retired developers getting some very anxious phone calls at this very moment.
                      I saw that happen at that bank I shan't name in NL; they'd offshored the admin of all sorts of undocumented applications half of which weren't officially in use but whose interfaces were used by other applications and so couldn't be switched off. Then one day it went wrong; some guy they'd made redundant when outsourcing the stuff was the only guy who knew how to fix it; we heard some very senior managers booming ' two and a half thousand euros a day! How do these technies dare to ask for rates like that' in the corridor and didn't bother to go out and answer them. They hired him though, and he stayed for a couple of months.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X