• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RBS 'Computer Glitch'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Guaranteed.
    Is it wrong to hope for big headlines in the papers saying 'RBS/Natwest system breakdown caused by offshore IT company'?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Does anyone know where SY01 is working?
      Not any more...

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Is it wrong to hope for big headlines in the papers saying 'RBS/Natwest system breakdown caused by offshore IT company'?
        I was going to write the same thing, it will of course be hidden but it will be bob.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Why the past tense? Still going on, with regular apologies from the NatWest Twitter account - they also sent me a grovelling SMS earlier, even though I haven't been affected
          Snap same here, I could do most stuff yesterday, tried to send money earlier today and it failed
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

just this minute had the text saying "due to system issues, any money credited overnight may not show in your balance. we are working to fix and apologise for the inconvenience"

I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              I was going to write the same thing, it will of course be hidden but it will be bob.
              It doesn't matter a damn who wrote the code, the people testing and reviewing and managing deployment/backup and emergency scenarios are the ones who are to blame and I very much doubt those roles are all off-shored.
              All code has bugs - Bobcode might be more buggy but eventually even a team of ace developers will drop clangers. And even if the bugs don't get detected, not having adequate disaster recovery can't really be blamed on Bob.

To automatically suggest a major problem is down to offshore devs is borderline racist really.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Did anyone listen to Radio 4 at lunch time

Some "expert" being interviewed blamed it on "Banking systems which have been in place since the 70's which haven't been replaced yet and are starting to creak"
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

It doesn't matter a damn who wrote the code, the people testing and reviewing and managing deployment/backup and emergency scenarios are the ones who are to blame and I very much doubt those roles are all off-shored.
                  All code has bugs - Bobcode might be more buggy but eventually even a team of ace developers will drop clangers. And even if the bugs don't get detected, not having adequate disaster recovery can't really be blamed on Bob.

To automatically suggest a major problem is down to offshore devs is borderline racist really.
                  I tested for a year or so at a very large bank in NL that will remain nameless. Some critical features in systems were simply impossible to test because the lawyers would not allow us to use production data and the compliance officers would not allow us to make fake data for testing. They also wouldn't give us access to anonymised data as according ot the compliance people that's still real data and contractors may not see it. A big migration program was tested by a tool written by the supplier of the ETL code and the bank's testers were allowed no explanation of the tool. Huge chunks of software went into prod without testing; eventually I just left, having been 'requested' several times in the style of Adolf Hitler 'requesting' that some subordinate do something to sign off test reports and acceptance notes that PMs had written for me. I refused a few times too often.

Oh, and I don't suggest it's caused by Bob; Bob is managed by someone and someone decided to offshore critical operations; those are the people I blame, not Bob. Bob's just a bloke trying to make a living.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It's a diversion. When it comes back online millions will have disappeared, and several contractors too.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It will be offshore.

And I never said it would be dev.

Comment

Working...
                      X