• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RBS 'Computer Glitch'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    They say the underlying problem is fixed, but still sorting the fall out.
    They said that last night. Then at 6:46 this morning it was back to "Unfortunately we are again experiencing technical issues with our systems" on Twitter. As of 12:47 they were still saying "...will be fixed as soon as possible".

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      The applied payments systems update clearly wasnt tested properly as it corrupted the existing batch processes. They've backed it out now but still need to apply all the transactions in and out which had been blocked since wednesday night.

That's what happens when you depend on too many Bobs.
      They've probably done the kind of testing that banks and bobs generally do and is summed up quite nicely in this presentation;

http://www.satisfice.com/presentations/fake.pdf

In other words, write loads of happy flow test cases, write lots of clever looking reports, generate some graphs from the test tool and some more customised graphs from excel, stick in all in a flashy powerpoint presentation and send a huge invoice. But don't, whatever you do, do any real testing.

Oh, and I nearly forgot; award yourself CMM and TMM Level 5 somewhere along the way.
      Last edited by Mich the Tester; 22 June 2012, 12:38. Reason: for fun
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

This is the result of them gettting rid of loads of contractors and relying on there permies and bobs. No doubt my phone will be ringing to come and save them......I might but it will cost them..

Comment

I think this all started on Wednesday. I tried to access my previous transactions on Natwest and it was failing, so i left it. Then this happen...
          I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

So if NatWest is robbed now in all probability they won't know until next week... maybe it's the robbers left behind massive logic bomb!

Comment

I did a stint at RBS and on at least 2 occassions I saw code released in to prod by Bob and built by Bob that was not what was tested and signed off amd resulted in losing a day or two backing it and sorting out the mess. Ask there Bobs about it and you get silence never admit to it, the Bobs hated me as I wouldnt let it drop would keep pushing and pushing.
              Last edited by Bumfluff; 22 June 2012, 12:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
                I did a stint at RBS and on at least 2 occassions I saw code released in to prod by Bob and built by Bob that was not what was tested and signed off. Ask Bob about and you get silence never admit to it.
                2 occasions? TWO? At a bank? Are you blind and deaf or something?

I lost count.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

That's what happens when you depend on too many Bobs.
                  The solution to the problem? Throw more bobs at at!
                  Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    More to the point, was it an outsourcing related problem?
                    Guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Why the past tense? Still going on, with regular apologies from the NatWest Twitter account - they also sent me a grovelling SMS earlier, even though I haven't been affected
                      Must have been really bad when Twitter also broke then

Does anyone know where SY01 is working?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X