• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

John Lewis gone to the dogs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Hmm. I have 4 of them and no funny smells. Perhaps there was a bad batch or something.
    Perhaps the goose tuliped itself before being plucked...

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Visited John Lewis intending to buy some decent Jonelle pillows and pillow covers, only to find they had been replaced by cheap and nasty Chinese crap.

      and when I opened a pillow case with a nice pattern on one side, the other side (not visible when it was packed) was white! FFS, How tacky and deceitful can they get!?

      and is there nothing not made in flipping China these days?
      The products are not crap because they're made in China, but because JL have agreed for cheaper alternatives with the manufacturer. The Chinese are quite capable of making pillow cases with patterns on both sides out of fancy fabric, if you pay them to do so.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        The products are not crap because they're made in China, but because JL have agreed for cheaper alternatives with the manufacturer. The Chinese are quite capable of making pillow cases with patterns on both sides out of fancy fabric, if you pay them to do so.
        Fair point.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          The products are not crap because they're made in China, but because JL have agreed for cheaper alternatives with the manufacturer. The Chinese are quite capable of making pillow cases with patterns on both sides out of fancy fabric, if you pay them to do so.
          True, I don't dispute that at all. Of course it's all down to John Lewis.

          No doubt some cocky little upstart, out to make a name for themself, thought it would be a smart idea to save costs and chase after the Tesco market or something. But the shop was very quiet, and the bed department almost empty, and check out queues non-existent, when I was there on saturday afternoon compared to how it used to be heaving even two years ago (after the crash).

          What these twerps fail to grasp is that people who want quality don't mind paying say £30 for a properly stitched zipped quilted pillow cover, instead of £10 for a threadbare badly-stitched thing that looks like an Argos reject, especially if new ones need buying only once every few years. People poor or miserly enough to worry about the price of something like that would buy everything in a market stall anyway.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            and is there nothing not made in flipping China these days?
            Bought two pairs of jeans yesterday. One pair from JL the other from Debenhams.
            Same popular american brand starting with L, one pair is made in Pakistan, one pair is made in Poland.

            So to answer your question, yes.

            Just tried one pair on in the shop, as both pairs are identical size and shape according to the label, but when I tried second pair on at home they don't fit

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              The products are not crap because they're made in China, but because JL have agreed for cheaper alternatives with the manufacturer. The Chinese are quite capable of making pillow cases with patterns on both sides out of fancy fabric, if you pay them to do so.
              Indeed quality is under the control of procurement in any sensible firm.
              "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

              I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                True, I don't dispute that at all. Of course it's all down to John Lewis.

                No doubt some cocky little upstart, out to make a name for themself, thought it would be a smart idea to save costs and chase after the Tesco market or something. But the shop was very quiet, and the bed department almost empty, and check out queues non-existent, when I was there on saturday afternoon compared to how it used to be heaving even two years ago (after the crash).

                What these twerps fail to grasp is that people who want quality don't mind paying say £30 for a properly stitched zipped quilted pillow cover, instead of £10 for a threadbare badly-stitched thing that looks like an Argos reject, especially if new ones need buying only once every few years. People poor or miserly enough to worry about the price of something like that would buy everything in a market stall anyway.

                yep its the Tesco-isation of retail. We must make the same margin as the cheapest regardless of our Market. Strange how ALDi manage to get good quality.
                "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

                I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Indeed quality is under the control of procurement in any sensible firm.
                  And it took you 6 years to realise that?

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    And it took you 6 years to realise that?

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      And it took you 6 years to realise that?
                      ah someone deleted their post - naughty!
                      Last edited by vetran; 29 August 2018, 20:14.
                      "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

                      I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X