• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "John Lewis gone to the dogs"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    And it took you 6 years to realise that?
    ah someone deleted their post - naughty!
    Last edited by vetran; 29 August 2018, 20:14.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Indeed quality is under the control of procurement in any sensible firm.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    True, I don't dispute that at all. Of course it's all down to John Lewis.

No doubt some cocky little upstart, out to make a name for themself, thought it would be a smart idea to save costs and chase after the Tesco market or something. But the shop was very quiet, and the bed department almost empty, and check out queues non-existent, when I was there on saturday afternoon compared to how it used to be heaving even two years ago (after the crash).

What these twerps fail to grasp is that people who want quality don't mind paying say £30 for a properly stitched zipped quilted pillow cover, instead of £10 for a threadbare badly-stitched thing that looks like an Argos reject, especially if new ones need buying only once every few years. People poor or miserly enough to worry about the price of something like that would buy everything in a market stall anyway.

yep its the Tesco-isation of retail. We must make the same margin as the cheapest regardless of our Market. Strange how ALDi manage to get good quality.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The products are not crap because they're made in China, but because JL have agreed for cheaper alternatives with the manufacturer. The Chinese are quite capable of making pillow cases with patterns on both sides out of fancy fabric, if you pay them to do so.
    Indeed quality is under the control of procurement in any sensible firm.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    and is there nothing not made in flipping China these days?
    Bought two pairs of jeans yesterday. One pair from JL the other from Debenhams.
    Same popular american brand starting with L, one pair is made in Pakistan, one pair is made in Poland.

So to answer your question, yes.

Just tried one pair on in the shop, as both pairs are identical size and shape according to the label, but when I tried second pair on at home they don't fit

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    The products are not crap because they're made in China, but because JL have agreed for cheaper alternatives with the manufacturer. The Chinese are quite capable of making pillow cases with patterns on both sides out of fancy fabric, if you pay them to do so.
    True, I don't dispute that at all. Of course it's all down to John Lewis.

No doubt some cocky little upstart, out to make a name for themself, thought it would be a smart idea to save costs and chase after the Tesco market or something. But the shop was very quiet, and the bed department almost empty, and check out queues non-existent, when I was there on saturday afternoon compared to how it used to be heaving even two years ago (after the crash).

What these twerps fail to grasp is that people who want quality don't mind paying say £30 for a properly stitched zipped quilted pillow cover, instead of £10 for a threadbare badly-stitched thing that looks like an Argos reject, especially if new ones need buying only once every few years. People poor or miserly enough to worry about the price of something like that would buy everything in a market stall anyway.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Fair point.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Visited John Lewis intending to buy some decent Jonelle pillows and pillow covers, only to find they had been replaced by cheap and nasty Chinese crap.

and when I opened a pillow case with a nice pattern on one side, the other side (not visible when it was packed) was white! FFS, How tacky and deceitful can they get!?

and is there nothing not made in flipping China these days?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Hmm. I have 4 of them and no funny smells. Perhaps there was a bad batch or something.
    Perhaps the goose tuliped itself before being plucked...

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Hmm. I have 4 of them and no funny smells. Perhaps there was a bad batch or something.
    Ordered. If they smell, they're going back!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Oooh - tempted. A few people complaining about the smell though.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    You need to go for these ones:

Buy John Lewis Hungarian Goose Down Pillow online at JohnLewis.com - John Lewis

which are 100% down. Most of the others have a percentage of feathers or a feather core.
    Oooh - tempted. A few people complaining about the smell though.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    You need to go for these ones:

Buy John Lewis Hungarian Goose Down Pillow online at JohnLewis.com - John Lewis

which are 100% down. Most of the others have a percentage of feathers or a feather core.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I bought some luggage from John Lewis but it grew legs and ran off. Then I bought a washing machine but it would only go into rince mode when it was breezy.

I stand corrected!

There are well read people of taste and distinction within this bastion of decadance and perversion

Leave a comment:

Working...
X