• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ICTs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Client co has out-sourced work to a well know telecoms company. The contract allows for more than sufficient revenue for paying qualified UK workers and contractors but in order to make more profit the telecoms company are using the dregs of their foreign sister company. Their so called IT engineers do not have a good enough command of English and their IT skills are less than end users but somehow they manage to have paper qualifications and fancy titles; I would dread to imagine what rate they are being paid.
    The issue is that most contracts don't seem to have the ability to remove the truly incompetent from the project. And its all time and materials so the more clueless the muppet the better.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      Yes I work for some reprehensible multinational outfits. It's better than claiming dole and I wasn't born into wealth.

I am trying to evince from anyone who has it, the counter argument. I could sit here in my complacency muttering "ICT is an abuse" (which I think it is - at least in the actuality here if not the spirit), but I want to understand from the proponents why they think it is preferable to swamp our IT departments with overseas workers rather than our own. I realise I should be asking Vince Cable, but he won't answer me, so I thought I'd see if anyone here had any worthwhile points to help me understand whether there is in fact any decent argument in favour of ICT as it currently exists.
      There is'nt a supporting argument worthy of placing on this site. If there is I would like to hear it.

As for your hipocrisy that is another matter. Criticise them yes but to sneer at them as a whole in the form of a cliche makes you look silly.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        There is'nt a supporting argument worthy of placing on this site. If there is I would like to hear it.

As for your hipocrisy that is another matter. Criticise them yes but to sneer at them as a whole in the form of a cliche makes you look silly.
        I want to hear it too - when I have a view I want to understand the opposing one as far as possible - occasionally I change my mind based on such an argurment, too.

Dodgy - did you ever think that the fact you accuse me of "hipocrisy"[sic] every other post I make might start to make you look a bit silly too? I don't think I ever claimed I wasn't (and if I did, I retract now). It's a bit like racism really isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by mos View Post
          In my experience - this foreign cheap workers
          Hi Chetty

Or is it Shashee?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            I want to hear it too - when I have a view I want to understand the opposing one as far as possible - occasionally I change my mind based on such an argurment, too.

Dodgy - did you ever think that the fact you accuse me of "hipocrisy"[sic] every other post I make might start to make you look a bit silly too? I don't think I ever claimed I wasn't (and if I did, I retract now). It's a bit like racism really isn't it?

I dont think there is any opposing argument other than it serves the interests of the corporates.

As for your cliches you just dont stop moaning. If you have a better way of running business then do say so. Make points, add reasoning, stick in some context and add some balance, add some evidence or examples and learn to make an argument.
            It does'nt look good when you are happy earning a fat living off the very people who you so condemn. Then you have the cheek to say that you have to pay the mortgage.
            I am always calling you a hypocrite for the simple reason that you are incapable of making any point (except for the one about ICTs) without it sounding like a sweeping cliche.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
              Hi Chetty

Or is it Shashee?
              Chetty
              Last Activity
              11th August 2009

The last 2 visitor(s) to this page were:

gricerboy
              Pondlife

Pachers

hmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Chetty
                Last Activity
                11th August 2009

The last 2 visitor(s) to this page were:

gricerboy
                Pondlife

Pachers

hmmmmm
                Are you saying you're Chetty and Gricer?

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                  Are you saying you're Chetty and Gricer?
                  Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    FTFY but it will be years until companies remember that 1 good onshore programmer is equal to 10 offshore ones.
                    No. One good programmer is equal to a massive reduction in the amount of hardware needed to run their code. The ten crap ones will always **** up the infrastructure even if they deliver code...

I too frequently find myself reviewing server performance stats that show pained applications that are maxed out and thread bound while sat on server infrastructure that is bored to hell, because it had to be over specified to scale but the offshore team don't know how to change the JVM to run with more memory ...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                      No. One good programmer is equal to a massive reduction in the amount of hardware needed to run their code. The ten crap ones will always **** up the infrastructure even if they deliver code...

I too frequently find myself reviewing server performance stats that show pained applications that are maxed out and thread bound while sat on server infrastructure that is bored to hell, because it had to be over specified to scale but the offshore team don't know how to change the JVM to run with more memory ...
                      or the code is sat on a 8 core box with 48+gig of ram but only utilises 1 thread and spends it's days thrashing the disks
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X