• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Protecting the true meaning of marriage.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So why can't we call that civil partnership a marriage? I don't think the Christian Church has a monopoly on the concept.

Comment

heterosexual couples even if they are non-religious have to say religious things in the marriage ceremony by law
      I don't recall that but it was a long time ago, also I got the giggles and didn't remember much anyway.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Common law marriages don't exist in England. It's a common myth that it exists which is why people get shafted if someone they have lived with for decades dies without making a will or they split up.

Oh and not all Christian denominations believe exactly the same thing. Some have more modern liberal views then others and have no problem with homosexuality.
        True (IIRC)

Another problem in the UK is that heterosexual couples even if they are non-religious have to say religious things in the marriage ceremony by law.
        Not True

Ideally civil partnerships should exist for all, and those who want a religious aspect can get married in the Church of the Christian denomination that accepts them.
        Should be true.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
          So why can't we call that civil partnership a marriage? I don't think the Christian Church has a monopoly on the concept.
          I've always assumed that "marriage" was a religious term?

Everything else was just shacking up together with varying degrees of legal protection when it went pear shaped .

Comment

Another problem in the UK is that heterosexual couples even if they are non-religious have to say religious things in the marriage ceremony by law.
            Only if they get married in a religious place. If you have a civil ceremony, then you are expressly prohibited from having anything religious in the service - we had to have our readings checked by the registrar first before she would allow them.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

As others have said, only if it's a religious ceremony... in which case non-believers are essentially starting their marriage by saying a bunch of stuff they don't agree with and making promises to someone they don't believe exists. Which seems a bit of a shaky way to enter into a life-long commitment to me.

Vicars always look so much happier at weddings where the people are actually believers
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Vicars always look so much happier at weddings where the people have paid up front, and there is a free bar at the Reception
                ftfy

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                X