• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Protecting the true meaning of marriage."

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Vicars always look so much happier at weddings where the people have paid up front, and there is a free bar at the Reception
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Another problem in the UK is that heterosexual couples even if they are non-religious have to say religious things in the marriage ceremony by law.
    As others have said, only if it's a religious ceremony... in which case non-believers are essentially starting their marriage by saying a bunch of stuff they don't agree with and making promises to someone they don't believe exists. Which seems a bit of a shaky way to enter into a life-long commitment to me.

Vicars always look so much happier at weddings where the people are actually believers

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Another problem in the UK is that heterosexual couples even if they are non-religious have to say religious things in the marriage ceremony by law.
    Only if they get married in a religious place. If you have a civil ceremony, then you are expressly prohibited from having anything religious in the service - we had to have our readings checked by the registrar first before she would allow them.

Leave a comment:

• Goatfell
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    So why can't we call that civil partnership a marriage? I don't think the Christian Church has a monopoly on the concept.
    I've always assumed that "marriage" was a religious term?

Everything else was just shacking up together with varying degrees of legal protection when it went pear shaped .

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Common law marriages don't exist in England. It's a common myth that it exists which is why people get shafted if someone they have lived with for decades dies without making a will or they split up.

Oh and not all Christian denominations believe exactly the same thing. Some have more modern liberal views then others and have no problem with homosexuality.
    True (IIRC)

Not True

Ideally civil partnerships should exist for all, and those who want a religious aspect can get married in the Church of the Christian denomination that accepts them.
    Should be true.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    heterosexual couples even if they are non-religious have to say religious things in the marriage ceremony by law
    I don't recall that but it was a long time ago, also I got the giggles and didn't remember much anyway.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    So why can't we call that civil partnership a marriage? I don't think the Christian Church has a monopoly on the concept.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Ideally civil partnerships should exist for all, and those who want a religious aspect can get married in the Church of the Christian denomination that accepts them.
    Good point well made.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    We still have common law marriages don't we, though how they work I can't be bothered to look up.
    Common law marriages don't exist in England. It's a common myth that it exists which is why people get shafted if someone they have lived with for decades dies without making a will or they split up.

Oh and not all Christian denominations believe exactly the same thing. Some have more modern liberal views then others and have no problem with homosexuality.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Why not leave gay marriage as a civil matter and religious marriages for those who comply with whatever rules the religion concerned lays down.
    That sounds a better idea to me.

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Ideas about marriage evolve with time. Under Roman law, a couple were married if they considered themselves to be married. There was also a strict form of marriage that did not permit divorce.
    We still have common law marriages don't we, though how they work I can't be bothered to look up. Divorce is much less easy to obtain in other countries... how easily you can get divorced appears to be part of how we judge how enlightened/modern/civilised a country is

Leave a comment:

• PorkPie
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Maybe my wife is more like a child than I realized. Despite her assertion that I am a child ("The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys").
    Bought one of these bad boys today:

Big Green Egg - The Ultimate Cooking Experience

COME ON!!!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Ideas about marriage evolve with time. Under Roman law, a couple were married if they considered themselves to be married. There was also a strict form of marriage that did not permit divorce.

Maybe the answer is to ban marriage between straight couples for a year and allow it between gay couples and then see how that looks.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    Surly marriage was around before the Christian church so why do they have a monopoly on its meaning?
    In my experience, most marriages are pretty surly.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Actually, it would make more rational sense to insist on marriage for heterosexual couples because they make up the overwhelming majority and (can't be arsed to look for the link) they are statistically more likely to raise well behaved kids.

Ah!

http://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/5632

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Why not leave gay marriage as a civil matter and religious marriages for those who comply with whatever rules the religion concerned lays down. In fact there is a business opportunity to set up a "functional religion" whereby one can hire a church and have whatever ceremony one wants
    I think that's the proposal anyway, a while back some had concerns that equality laws would force churches to hold gay weddings but according to the DT the Scottish secretary Michael Moore has ruled that out, so it's only about the legal undertaking made in registry offices. In other words all this fuss appears to be about use of the word "marriage", absolutely nothing in other words.

Ah well, since when were the religious ever rational?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X