• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Much life left in contracting...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    So I have been doing some grim soul searching over the weekend and I am starting to think that we are running out of time.

The agents have all but killed the joys of finding the next deal.
    The growing prevalence of customers that think its ok to expect you to cram a 6 month job into a 3 month contract thanks to professional day. Had another agent on the phone yesterday inviting me to work 14 hour days for £400
    The general public are sharpening the pitchforks for PSC's
    Yet another load of crap about to be dumped on our shoulders thanks to son of ir35
    More and more rentabobs helping to make easy jobs stroke inducing

I am starting to think that if something positive doesn't happen soon I will be cashing out of IT for good.
    No job is every ideal, there are good an bad points in everything, but just take a look around you and show me the job that would be perfect, it does not exist, think yourself lucky, you could be standing on a production line sticking knobs on fridges or out in the cold sweeping the streets, there is good and bad in everything we do so accept it for what it is.

You spend a good proportion of your life working so find the good in it and enjoy it Lifes to short to do something you don't like so if you hate it that much go and do something else

Comment

If the industry want the skills they'll have to pay for them is my view as they're not going to accomplish the job without them. Sure they can get cheaper labour etc but that doesn't mean it will work in my view, quality costs money but the results are always worth the initial outlay. Have faith as not everyone out there is good at what they do so there's always room to capitalise on that, I'm sure a lot of you have had to go into projects and clean up someone elses mess.
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
        If the industry want the skills they'll have to pay for them is my view as they're not going to accomplish the job without them. Sure they can get cheaper labour etc but that doesn't mean it will work in my view, quality costs money but the results are always worth the initial outlay. Have faith as not everyone out there is good at what they do so there's always room to capitalise on that, I'm sure a lot of you have had to go into projects and clean up someone elses mess.
        You TA or Sealed Knot?

Couldn't work it out from your post re the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Have you got anything better to go to?

Since I started in computing there have always been issues. As one gets older one becomes less able to deal with them. One feels like telling the truth more often.
          Personally, I've found that age and experience have given me the professional confidence to name and shame tulip solutions. The hard bit is trying not to insult the people who developed it
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

So I have been doing some grim soul searching over the weekend and I am starting to think that we are running out of time.

The growing prevalence of customers that think its ok to expect you to cram a 6 month job into a 3 month contract thanks to professional day. Had another agent on the phone yesterday inviting me to work 14 hour days for £400
            Yet another load of crap about to be dumped on our shoulders thanks to son of ir35

I am starting to think that if something positive doesn't happen soon I will be cashing out of IT for good.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The darkest hour is just before the dawn and there are an awful lot of crap outsourcing deals that are coming home to roost. Granted it won't be now but if you are decent that work will arrive sooner rather than later.

What people forget is that for many problems the difference between a loss making, profitable or highly profitable business is the quality of customised automation.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Loser! You think the world owes you an nice easy living! Adapt or die!

"Mummy, all the bad people are taking my 7hr/400 a day contracts away, sob sob"

Comment

it's all about Skillz innit

you gotta get into .Net and get the full MSDN certification

and get a plan b

sorteeeeeed

Milan.

Comment

Niche, niche area all the way. No matter how many bobs come over, they can't do certain types of work. I don't expect that to change, from contributing to a forum for my area, the bobs don't really have a clue.

Long may that continue, if not, hey ho, been a very, very profitable ride

Comment

On the plus side as more people drop out of contracting and/or IT there will be more money and more contracts for the rest of us.

I'd agree agents have got more tosspotterish though.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X