• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Much life left in contracting...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    This is how I am starting to feel. I am working my nuts off at the moment but my income has hit its peak. So if the pitchfork wielding crowd get their way and take away the tax advantages of being in an insecure setting as well as a rate crash, the offers of £125k and 6 weeks off a year is beginning to sound like a better idea than 170k no holidays and two days notice because some twat in the US who previously signed a purchase order would rather not honour it...
    £125k and 6 weeks off a year is not to be sneezed at. Add in a bonus, health insurance, gym membership, travelcard, pension contribution matches and it starts to look quite attractive rather than taking all that from pre-tax earnings.

I have reached the same point - a rate ceiling for my skillset and industry and a need to go permie to take the next step. And while nothing is guaranteed, I kind of feel like a steady 12 months worth of income paid every fortnight compared with chasing unpaid invoices and living on a basic wage during the last 12...
    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
      £125k and 6 weeks off a year is not to be sneezed at. Add in a bonus, health insurance, gym membership, travelcard, pension contribution matches and it starts to look quite attractive rather than taking all that from pre-tax earnings.

I have reached the same point - a rate ceiling for my skillset and industry and a need to go permie to take the next step. And while nothing is guaranteed, I kind of feel like a steady 12 months worth of income paid every fortnight compared with chasing unpaid invoices and living on a basic wage during the last 12...
      Every fortnight? The only companies I know who do that are american (and clueless)
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Every fortnight? The only companies I know who do that are american (and clueless)
        I've only had 2 permie jobs in my life! I really don't know!
        Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Most firms pay monthly. You can usually tell by the lunchtime drinks on pay day and the rapid appearance of packed lunches about 1 week after pay day when the cash has run out.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

So I have been doing some grim soul searching over the weekend and I am starting to think that we are running out of time.
            Are you talking about contracting in the world in general, or just contracting in a country with a ruined economy?

I am starting to think that if something positive doesn't happen soon I will be cashing out of IT for good.
            Yeah, nobody needs computers any more. Nobody needs smart people...

Could it be you are the victim of an Almighty Bluff?
            Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenb View Post
              Yeah, nobody needs computers any more. Nobody needs smart people...
              No the country wants smart people but they no longer wish to pay.

Comment

Working...
              X