• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Much life left in contracting...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was expecting some violin music to start while I was reading that. Pass me the hankies please <sniff>
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Play this while reading the OP post again. Makes more sense..
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
        The growing prevalence of customers that think its ok to expect you to cram a 6 month job into a 3 month contract thanks to professional day.
        If you are good that may not be a problem. Knocked off a 40 day project yesterday in an afternoon.

A (secret) decent code generator solves many problems. Now fixing the tsql which is supposedly another 15 days.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
          I am not optimistic for the future, I am just hoping I can ride it out to retirement or a decent plan B presents itself.
          Exactly. Another 2-3 years and I'm done. It will be a close run thing.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            If you are good that may not be a problem. Knocked off a 40 day project yesterday in an afternoon.

A (secret) decent code generator solves many problems. Now fixing the tsql which is supposedly another 15 days.
            The issue is that they only want to pay for the 3 months (or in your case the afternoon).
            Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

The issue is that they only want to pay for the 3 months (or in your case the afternoon).
              Note. He didn't say he wasn't going to be testing it all for the next 3 or 4 weeks whilst languishing on a beach somewhere and then making the final delivery after 40 days, followed by a prompt invoice.

Contracting is a cyclical thing at the best of times, it'll be back.

At the moment it is pretty quiet and slow and takes a while to chase the few suitable contracts that are out there, but am sure things will pick up. I've only been contracting 5 years and the number of suitable roles for my skillset has dipped from high double figures to single figures and then risen again.

Patience and a war chest are the must haves in the current climate.
              Last edited by Scrag Meister; 6 March 2012, 08:40.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Dude, it's not that bad. I know that things look grim and at times it seems as though we are getting shafted from every angle.

I.T. is now embedded in the infrastructure of this country and its business and it isn't going to be removed. We are going through a pretty rubbish blip and if you've been benched for a while then it can start to look bleak. But I reiterate, it's not that bad.

Keep calm and carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I was expecting some violin music to start while I was reading that. Pass me the hankies please <sniff>
                  There still a bit soggy, love, but they're starting to crust up nicely in front of the fire now.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    There still a bit soggy, love, but they're starting to crust up nicely in front of the fire now.
                    Have you been wiping them on the end of your knob again?

Comment

Actually it justifies both my rate and the little work I do the rest of the time.

The thing is I've been here years and that few hours of work will justify this years extension. I've done my usual job of turning around what would be a disaster and moving it back to on time under budget.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X