• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the best sat-nav product out there?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TomTom 310, including Western Europe Maps 350 Euros at Lidl

Sorteeeeeeeeeeed

Milan.

Comment

I have a TomTom One, doesnt have all the bells and whitles of the high end models like handfree phone interface etc but it is a good deal smaller than those. Maps are great, display is large and clear. You can hook it up to the net via your phone to download traffic and weather information if you want it on the move or from your PC at home if not.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I'm going for a Tomtom Mobile 5 when I switch phone contracts next month.

Expect a network coverage question in the near future...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I have TomTom on a HP4700, never been lost since I got it, maps and software running on a memory card and both easily updated, costs a little more than one of the dedicated units, but you have a top notch PDA as well. You wanted the dog's nads well this is it.

One word of warning, I have not managed to get the software to run well on Windows Mobile 5, but runs perfectly on Pocket PC 2003se

Comment

I think the best nav system is one that comes built in to the car, second best would be one you can hide (ie. screen pops out of the system that is inserted in to the dash in place of your CD/radio. Failing that, get one of them flash tomtoms (or walk around at night and steal one! ).

Ive got a unit that came with my car (OEM) and its actually bloody handy. Been to a few places that I never knew existed in London recently and got there with minimal fuss thanks to me sat nav.

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
              I think the best nav system is one that comes built in to the car, second best would be one you can hide (ie. screen pops out of the system that is inserted in to the dash in place of your CD/radio. Failing that, get one of them flash tomtoms (or walk around at night and steal one! ).

Ive got a unit that came with my car (OEM) and its actually bloody handy. Been to a few places that I never knew existed in London recently and got there with minimal fuss thanks to me sat nav.

Mailman
              I beg to disagree, the ones that come with a BMW for instance are pants compared to a TomTom.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Threaded, the one built into my new RR is a splendid device.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                  I beg to disagree, the ones that come with a BMW for instance are pants compared to a TomTom.
                  Personal preference probably?

A mate in Portugal has a tom tom of some description, from a POV of its accuracy and usability it's better than my (old) Beemer.

It's just a shame it's so bloody untidy, what with a wire to plug it in the fag lighter, a wire to the external GPS receiver, a bloody great cradle glued into the middle of the dash it's a bit like a mobile rat's nest.

Maybe the alpine jobby built into one of their head units with the slide out TFT screen would be a good compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                    Threaded, the one built into my new RR is a splendid device.
                    I confirm that I recon the TomTom is better than the Alpine. For instance she doesn't have that annoying southern accent. I've replaced her with a sultry mid-european on my TomTom, can you do that on the RR?
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X