• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What's the best sat-nav product out there?"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    Threaded, the one built into my new RR is a splendid device.
    I confirm that I recon the TomTom is better than the Alpine. For instance she doesn't have that annoying southern accent. I've replaced her with a sultry mid-european on my TomTom, can you do that on the RR?

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    I beg to disagree, the ones that come with a BMW for instance are pants compared to a TomTom.
    Personal preference probably?

A mate in Portugal has a tom tom of some description, from a POV of its accuracy and usability it's better than my (old) Beemer.

It's just a shame it's so bloody untidy, what with a wire to plug it in the fag lighter, a wire to the external GPS receiver, a bloody great cradle glued into the middle of the dash it's a bit like a mobile rat's nest.

Maybe the alpine jobby built into one of their head units with the slide out TFT screen would be a good compromise.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Threaded, the one built into my new RR is a splendid device.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    I think the best nav system is one that comes built in to the car, second best would be one you can hide (ie. screen pops out of the system that is inserted in to the dash in place of your CD/radio. Failing that, get one of them flash tomtoms (or walk around at night and steal one! ).

Ive got a unit that came with my car (OEM) and its actually bloody handy. Been to a few places that I never knew existed in London recently and got there with minimal fuss thanks to me sat nav.

Mailman
    I beg to disagree, the ones that come with a BMW for instance are pants compared to a TomTom.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    I think the best nav system is one that comes built in to the car, second best would be one you can hide (ie. screen pops out of the system that is inserted in to the dash in place of your CD/radio. Failing that, get one of them flash tomtoms (or walk around at night and steal one! ).

Ive got a unit that came with my car (OEM) and its actually bloody handy. Been to a few places that I never knew existed in London recently and got there with minimal fuss thanks to me sat nav.

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Parisno
    replied
    I have TomTom on a HP4700, never been lost since I got it, maps and software running on a memory card and both easily updated, costs a little more than one of the dedicated units, but you have a top notch PDA as well. You wanted the dog's nads well this is it.

One word of warning, I have not managed to get the software to run well on Windows Mobile 5, but runs perfectly on Pocket PC 2003se

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I'm going for a Tomtom Mobile 5 when I switch phone contracts next month.

Expect a network coverage question in the near future...

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I have a TomTom One, doesnt have all the bells and whitles of the high end models like handfree phone interface etc but it is a good deal smaller than those. Maps are great, display is large and clear. You can hook it up to the net via your phone to download traffic and weather information if you want it on the move or from your PC at home if not.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    TomTom 310, including Western Europe Maps 350 Euros at Lidl

Sorteeeeeeeeeeed

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    The manager where I'm currently contracting swears by his Mio 269 (now called Mio 269 Plus). It comes with a full set of UK and Europe maps and updates are at a minimal cost - you only pay for the media. I think some of the others charge in the region of £150 for map updates.

I use a map so have no personal experience of these things!

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Sat Nav systems are currently the number 1 item for theft from cars.

Make sure that the system you buy is not an excuse for some scrote to break into your motor.
    The copper on the telly said any signs that there might be a system in the car are enough, even a sucker mark on the windscreen for the holder.

Leave a comment:

• madhippy
    replied
    the disadvantage of a pda+gps system is setting them up ...

ie you have stick clamp to windscreen, select the nav software, enter the route, put pda in clamp, power pda via lighter socket, stick gps unit somewhere...

then you realise the bluetooth thingy stopped working and the pda cant see the gps, so you mess about setting that up again, software starts working, you start driving only to realise you cant hear the voice prompts as the volume on the pda is too low ... blah ... then the speed camera stuff doesn't work as you turned off the "points of interest" thingy .... blah

I'd go with an all in one unit myself ... went for an ipaq rx3715, solar/battery powered bluetooth gps and copilot software ... tempted to get a tomtom instead now ...

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    New models

As far as I can make out, Tom Tom and Garmin are the 2 leading makes. I like the Tom Tom but I think it is too bulk - especially if you theft concerns mean you need to keep taking it out the car. What are the new features of the 900?

I personally have decided to go with Garmin. I am intending to get a Garmin Nuvi. The 350 version is currently available but holding out for the Nuvi 360 as this has the added benefit of Bluetooth handsfree for mobiles like the Tomtom 700. Garmin currently say this will be available in June.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• tamper
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    Yes, TomTom 910
    How do you update the TomTom GOs? Do they put out new maps on SD card? Also, do you know whether the map files available for the TT PocketPC releases can be used on the Go?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by tamper
    Is there a hands-down dogs-bollocks obvious choice to go for, or is it a matter of taste?
    Yes, TomTom 910

Anyone know what's what?
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X