• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the best sat-nav product out there?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best sat-nav product out there?

I'm after a sat-nav solution for UK and Europe. Is there a hands-down dogs-bollocks obvious choice to go for, or is it a matter of taste?

While I quite like the idea of a PDA-based solution (since I don't have a PDA either), I don't know whether the software is any good in comparison to more dedicated solutions.

Anyone know what's what?

Originally posted by tamper
    I'm after a sat-nav solution for UK and Europe. Is there a hands-down dogs-bollocks obvious choice to go for, or is it a matter of taste?

While I quite like the idea of a PDA-based solution (since I don't have a PDA either), I don't know whether the software is any good in comparison to more dedicated solutions.

Anyone know what's what?
    IMHO, TomTom is excellent and I have it running on an XDA IIi PDA/mobilephone

I have an external GPS detector that uses Bluetooth to send data to the XDA and TomTom software

Only downside with my solution is having 2 bits of hardware but as the GPS detector stays in the car its not a big deal

Comment

Get a fecking map.
      Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

and learn to read road signs
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by tamper
          Is there a hands-down dogs-bollocks obvious choice to go for, or is it a matter of taste?
          Yes, TomTom 910

Anyone know what's what?
          Yes.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
            Yes, TomTom 910
            How do you update the TomTom GOs? Do they put out new maps on SD card? Also, do you know whether the map files available for the TT PocketPC releases can be used on the Go?

Comment

New models

As far as I can make out, Tom Tom and Garmin are the 2 leading makes. I like the Tom Tom but I think it is too bulk - especially if you theft concerns mean you need to keep taking it out the car. What are the new features of the 900?

I personally have decided to go with Garmin. I am intending to get a Garmin Nuvi. The 350 version is currently available but holding out for the Nuvi 360 as this has the added benefit of Bluetooth handsfree for mobiles like the Tomtom 700. Garmin currently say this will be available in June.

HTH.

Comment

the disadvantage of a pda+gps system is setting them up ...

ie you have stick clamp to windscreen, select the nav software, enter the route, put pda in clamp, power pda via lighter socket, stick gps unit somewhere...

then you realise the bluetooth thingy stopped working and the pda cant see the gps, so you mess about setting that up again, software starts working, you start driving only to realise you cant hear the voice prompts as the volume on the pda is too low ... blah ... then the speed camera stuff doesn't work as you turned off the "points of interest" thingy .... blah

I'd go with an all in one unit myself ... went for an ipaq rx3715, solar/battery powered bluetooth gps and copilot software ... tempted to get a tomtom instead now ...

Comment

Sat Nav systems are currently the number 1 item for theft from cars.

Make sure that the system you buy is not an excuse for some scrote to break into your motor.
                  The copper on the telly said any signs that there might be a system in the car are enough, even a sucker mark on the windscreen for the holder.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

The manager where I'm currently contracting swears by his Mio 269 (now called Mio 269 Plus). It comes with a full set of UK and Europe maps and updates are at a minimal cost - you only pay for the media. I think some of the others charge in the region of £150 for map updates.

I use a map so have no personal experience of these things!

Comment

Working...
                    X