• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Here comes the forced 2 mins silence BS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
    As has been pointed out, many of those who fought in conditions too awful for us to even begin to contemplate sacrificed their lives defending the freedoms that apes like you take for granted.
    There's a slight irony about the fact that many of those you speak of were conscripted.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

My first 11.11 abroad, 9 years ago, and at 11:00am... fire drill!

I don't wear a poppy anymore. I've got bored of explaining to foreigners the purpose of it. Definitely would wear one and honour the fallen if I was in the UK.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Actually it's not a forced silence, people are only asked to respect it. Which implies you understand respect. Heigh ho...

Perhaps the OP should have been in the City at midday on the week after the 7/7 bombings. Close to half a million people stood in total silence, not even an engine running. Only noise was the birds.

You don't have to make a noise to be heard.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Actually it's not a forced silence, people are only asked to respect it.
          It is practically forced in many workplaces though... tremendous peer pressure to comply regardless if you agree or not. That aspect I don't like, I think many regard it as "the done thing" and get cross with those who don't simply for not respecting tradition, rather than because they have strong feelings about the fallen soldiers.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            It is practically forced in many workplaces though... tremendous peer pressure to comply regardless if you agree or not. That aspect I don't like, I think many regard it as "the done thing" and get cross with those who don't simply for not respecting tradition, rather than because they have strong feelings about the fallen soldiers.
            Don't get it, do you? It's not about being silent. If you don't want to keep the silence for your own expression of respect and a moment of reflection, you could at least respect other people's desire to do so. It's not like 2 minutes is going to spoil your whole day - but you may well have spoiled someone else's.

Too much of this country is damaged by people's blind insistence on their right to do as they damn well please and sod everyone else. The OP's atitude is just one more expression of it.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Too much of this country is damaged by people's blind insistence on that everyone do as they say and sod everyone else. My atitude is just one more expression of it.
              FTFY

Comment

Oh Russell, your brave stand against the forces of oppressions makes me want to puke voluminously over your head.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Oh Russell, your brave stand against the forces of oppressions makes me want to puke voluminously over your head.
                  That's errr good to errr know...

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                    FTFY
                    And a bloody awful job you did of it as well. Go read it again.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

And a bloody awful job you did of it as well. Go read it again.
                      I can only work with whats in front of me

Comment

Working...
                      X