• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should we vote on Europe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    I think the last 3 general elections have been won by parties promising a referendum on Europe in some form or another, certainly the last 2. All have reneged on these manifesto promises citing some sort of political slight of hand.

There are certain factions of the public that will only ever vote one way. Far too stupid to realise they are being shafted. Others have vested interests.

Maybe a change in the political system is needed. You only get to vote if you are contributing to the UK. Tax resident and employed.
    I agree.

And I apologise for my poor conduct last week but think we had cross wires as wasn't telling anyone what to do. Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by keninparis View Post
      I agree.

And I apologise for my poor conduct last week but think we had cross wires as wasn't telling anyone what to do. Regards.
      No need to apologise to me. I am a thick skinned northerner and having been a fat bastard for years am quite used to abuse. I am perfectly capable of dishing it out too.
      Besides, it was last week. I am lucky if I can remember my last cup of coffee.
      Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

having been a fat bastard for years
        Don't put yourself down

Let us do it for you.

Comment

No need to apologise to me. I am a thick skinned northerner and having been a fat bastard for years am quite used to abuse. I am perfectly capable of dishing it out too.
          Besides, it was last week. I am lucky if I can remember my last cup of coffee.
          Also a long suffering Leeds fan from up north.

Comment

So you're OK being called a fat northern bastard?

just asking like
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              How can anyone support referenda and then say the result might ' go the wrong way'? Surely if your belief in the collective wisdom of the people is so strong you want them to decide things by popular vote, it's a contradiction to suggest the result might ' go the wrong way'?
              Go the wrong way for me. Then I'd abide by the majority.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                Go the wrong way for me. Then I'd abide by the majority.
                That's the point; it can't 'go the wrong way' for you. Surely the majority can only be right if you believe in referenda.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You'll find a lot of contractors here now fully dependent on Europe, but not only contractors businesses as well. It would be impossible to go back to how it was in the 1970's when you needed a work permit to work there. If you did you'd destroy too many livlelihoods, and that aint going to happen. So even if the UK did pull out they'd have to keep all the regulations in place that allow people and business's to work here. It would be nothing more than a token gesture. The idea you can suddenly close the borders to Europe, prevent foreigners getting pensions and shove tariffs on imports is just completely absurd.

Of course everything is negotiated anyway, the UK didn't initially sign up to the social chapter, the UK doesn't have the Euro, it didn't join schengen,it has a rebate and the list goes on of things the UK didn't sign up to. I fail to see why the UK has to leave the EU to have exceptions.

Of course the UK will never the leave the EU anyway, England might, but Scotland won't.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 24 October 2011, 12:11.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Bring back the property owning criterion.

That'd sort the voters from the hoi polloi.

And a rotton borough or two would be nice too.
                    Should we also remove the vote for wimmin?

It's significant that the decline of the British Empire coincided with the women's emancipation movement & getting the vote
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Sadly I think our empire had more to do with our once staggeringly large coal reserves than with our voting system.

Comment

Working...
                      X