• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Requirements management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Cold comfort when you're standing in the queue for the soup-kitchen.

Swallow your pride, work with 'em to resolve the issue.
    Ah, more blunt northenisms. You should write a book mate.

I'm ok with this. Having worked on fairly cosy gigs up until now (by comparison), and not on fixed price stuff the phrase "where there's chaos, there's cash" springs to mind.

Every disagreement I hear coins dropping into my company account.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I'm wearing my latest -ve with pride

"Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Every disagreement I hear coins dropping into my company account.
        How good is your professional indemnity insurance? Are you sure about that?
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          How good is your professional indemnity insurance? Are you sure about that?
          If the disagreement is clearly documented in the contract with no wriggle room then yes, sure.

Seriously mate, if people are going to be a cock, then there's nothing I can do other that watch them be a cock and argue the toss, and try not to let them get me down.

If on the other hand someone is genuinely stuck, struggling, confused, unsure, in need of help them I'm all ears and ready to help.

So, to sum up. Be a cock, get short shrift. Be sensible, and I'm a great ally.

Comment

Is this a different project from the one you were doing in September?

If so, then it sounds like you should be avoided since they all seem to be tulip. If not, then what happened to the workshops in September that you now say didn't happen?

The generic process designed by him is a high level overview and each department has their own variations on a theme. The consultancy has quoted for delivering the generic process, yet from my workshops it is clear that if this is delivered no one will use the system.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If the disagreement is clearly documented in the contract with no wriggle room then yes, sure.

Seriously mate, if people are going to be a cock, then there's nothing I can do other that watch them be a cock and argue the toss, and try not to let them get me down.

If on the other hand someone is genuinely stuck, struggling, confused, unsure, in need of help then I am probably looking in the mirror!!
              So, to sum up. Be a cock, get short shrift. Be sensible, and I'm a great ally.
              ftfy
              Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
              Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

I can see Suity getting sued , losing the house, wife leaving and kids getting a new successful foreign contracting dad called Bob over this.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Is this a different project from the one you were doing in September?

If so, then it sounds like you should be avoided since they all seem to be tulip. If not, then what happened to the workshops in September that you now say didn't happen?
                  Yep same project. The workshops took place. Attendance was poor to non existent. Poorly motivated staff that did turn up were summarily dragged kicking and screaming through the requirements gathering phase.

The key stakeholders, and the sponsor were on holiday during the workshops. Now they have returned they don't understand the F-Spec and want to have more workshops to break it all apart again into bite sized chunks so they can understand it all, and provide feedback and changes where they see fit.

Again, this is on a fixed price project. Where clearly stated in the contract it says providing 3 days notice is given, the required staff will attend workshops. Not bugger off on holiday.

This is why it has been stressful. What can I do other than crack on with the workshops with the people available, make assumptions where necessary, point out the caveats and write it all up?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    I can see Suity getting sued , losing the house, wife leaving and kids getting a new successful foreign contracting dad called Bob over this.
                    NAT!

Comment

Suity, what was the ballpark budget for this endeavour? 50K, 100K, 500K, 1M, 2.5M, +5M?

I'm trying to put this into some sort of context against my projects.

Comment

Working...
                      X