• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

University degrees that will get your kids a job and those that probably won't

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I would probably tell kids not to bother with the degree now, they are becoming wastes of money. I did a 5 year degree so I would be hit with a 45 grand debt for tuition fees if I did mechanical in England, stick on maybe 20 grand of personal debt and you are on a run chase into your 30s trying to pay that off.
    WMS. I told my kids to consider alternatives.

True, the loan terms are not bad. However my son (who finishes his A-levels next year) now favours an apprenticeship. A big debt is still a big debt and, although that's not the only factor to consider, it's a big turn-off for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

True, the loan terms are not bad. However my son (who finishes his A-levels next year) now favours an apprenticeship. A big debt is still a big debt and, although that's not the only factor to consider, it's a big turn-off for him.
      Alternatively he can emigrate for good.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Alternatively he can emigrate for good.

Seriously though, we always do the old UK down but there are opportunities here. The grass is not always greener elsewhere...

Still, ultimately it's up to him.

Comment

Here's the data on all universities, incase anyone is interested:

How likely are you to be employed? By university and course | News | guardian.co.uk
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Good idea. Once he's finished his apprenticeship or even while he's doing it, he could do an OU degree. If I were that age that's what I would seriously consider doing, just not to be saddled with so much debt.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

SG Junior will be going to private school and therefore has a good chance to go to Oxbridge.
              An education fund to this end has already been set up. On successful completion of his degree at a first rate institution I will also gift him a one bed flat in London (failure at the degree means no property).
              And that will be the sum total of his inheritance: a first rate education and a paid for property. Not a penny more.
              After that its up to him.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Good idea. Once he's finished his apprenticeship or even while he's doing it, he could do an OU degree. If I were that age that's what I would seriously consider doing, just not to be saddled with so much debt.
                I don't know how much OU degrees are going to cost but I remember a while ago the government was looking at cutting the OU's budget by 90%. The only place that revenue can come from is the students studying with the OU.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Yes. Ideally he wants an apprenticeship with a higher education element.

It's what I did at that age and it was superb. Strangely I hope my doing it doesn't sway him unduly.

Comment

Yes. Ideally he wants an apprenticeship with a higher education element.

It's what I did at that age and it was superb. Strangely I hope my doing it doesn't sway him unduly.
                    If he ends up reasonably trained up and experienced in what he does he can skip the undergraduate element and go straight for a Masters.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      SG Junior will be going to private school and therefore has a good chance to go to Oxbridge.
                      Going to a private school isn't good enough it needs to be a "Public" school otherwise he won't make the right contacts.

He also needs to play the correct sports to further increase his circle.

Comment

Working...
                      X