• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

University degrees that will get your kids a job and those that probably won't

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the full range is 84.7 - 99.6% I would say that isn't at all bad.

If only that was the complete picture...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      That's because they are the ones who'd emerged with 6 years of debt instead of 3, and could least afford not to.
      And with the new system, a graduate's total debt is actually likely to increase even more during the first decade or two of their working life before they actually start paying anything back.
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
        And with the new system, a graduate's total debt is actually likely to increase even more during the first decade or two of their working life before they actually start paying anything back.
        Yep - and I believe there are penalties for paying off early.

Looking at the situation at the moment - the impression was given that a few unis would increase the fees to £9000 but most would have much smaller increases. In fact, 1/3 have gone to the max, and nearly all are £8000+. So looking at £25K for daughter's uni fees. If she'd gone this year, it would have been around £10K, but arts courses require you to do a foundation course first, so we missed out.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          At the other end of the spectrum, only 84.7pc of graduates with computer science degrees got a job with six months of finishing their degree.
          Is 84.7% really the other end of the spectrum, or somewhere in the middle?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
            Yep - and I believe there are penalties for paying off early.
            They wanted to make them a graduate tax in all but name.

One issue of just making it a graduate tax was that they thought it would be extremely hard to chase EU nationals to get them to pay it back, as they are already finding difficult to chase them for student loans.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I think the stats for computer science are extremely misleading. Bloggs Jr is looking at doing a combined honours maths/computer science degree in 2012. Imperial and Cambridge, for example, are 100% employment post graduation. I imagine (but haven't looked) that the likes of Chester and Huddersfield are less than half that. So, I think the answer really is, "it depends where you go to study". Bloggs Jr is looking at Bristol, Warwick, Manchester, Liverpool so he's likely to end up with half a chance of a job I guess, I hope anyway.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                One issue of just making it a graduate tax was that they thought it would be extremely hard to chase EU nationals to get them to pay it back, as they are already finding difficult to chase them for student loans.
                Oh the joys of free movement!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  I think the stats for computer science are extremely misleading. Bloggs Jr is looking at doing a combined honours maths/computer science degree in 2012. Imperial and Cambridge, for example, are 100% employment post graduation. I imagine (but haven't looked) that the likes of Chester and Huddersfield are less than half that. So, I think the answer really is, "it depends where you go to study". Bloggs Jr is looking at Bristol, Warwick, Manchester, Liverpool so he's likely to end up with half a chance of a job I guess, I hope anyway.
                  Where you go obviously has an impact, but the most important factor is the individual.

Some people who go to middle-tier universities make sure they get good work experience during uni and expend effort during their final year in lining up a decent graduate job.

Some people who go to top universities don't bother with any of the above and end up unemployed for the first 18 months after graduating.

It's mostly a question of putting the effort in and getting yourself organised.
                  "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

No chance these figures are correct, half the people that got a degree in Engineering on my main degree are working outwith the industry. If you get a third you will not be hired and you are doing a conversion course to teach maths.

Comment

And law, it really is a vanity degree, it is quite rare for someone on that course to pratice law after graduation.

"I have a degree in law"

"Nice one, what are you doing now?"

"well I work for a retail bank and check the letters going out to defaulters"

Comment

Working...
                      X