• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "University degrees that will get your kids a job and those that probably won't"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    And after a while they all have the desire to become Lion Tamers.
    A few of them have taken a year off to do something a lot more interesting.......

No Lion Tamers though

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I forgot to add that for those in England who plan to get their sons and daughters to study through the OU there is some bad news.

Fees for people starting in 2012 go up to £5000 per 120 credits.

While they can still work full-time whilst study for a degree with the OU they may as well if they can live at home and fit in work part-time go to a conventional university if a near by one is decent.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

Is it because four or five times as many people go to university now and come out with more "practical" degrees?

Does having so many graduates lower the overall competence of them, causing prospective employers to tar all with the same brush and search out grads with "useful" degrees on the basis that at least they've learned something that they might apply to work?
    Are European Studies with French and German (Double Awarded Degree), Economics, Physiotherapy, Microbiology, Chemical Engineering, Maths or Business Studies useful if you want to become a accountant?

I know people who studied all these in the past and have become accountants.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    It's a shame that studying something interesting for its own sake is no longer encouraged.

I'm thinking of subjects like art, literature and history/classics, where there are few opportunities for a career in the specific subject.

Years ago somebody with a decent degree in classics was seen as having a good brain and eminently employable in other fields, but now subjects like that are scoffed at a bit, with the attitude "if I want to know about classics I'll look it up".
    A good degree in history/classics was always a route to a good career,. Employers valued these degrees, not for the subject content but because they proved that you were bright and could apply yourself with discipline.

Is it because four or five times as many people go to university now and come out with more "practical" degrees?

Does having so many graduates lower the overall competence of them, causing prospective employers to tar all with the same brush and search out grads with "useful" degrees on the basis that at least they've learned something that they might apply to work?
    There's definitely something in that. It also allows employers the delusion that they can get results without much training.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    It's a shame that studying something interesting for its own sake is no longer encouraged.

I'm thinking of subjects like art, literature and history/classics, where there are few opportunities for a career in the specific subject.

Years ago somebody with a decent degree in classics was seen as having a good brain and eminently employable in other fields, but now subjects like that are scoffed at a bit, with the attitude "if I want to know about classics I'll look it up".

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I'm told that Microbiology is a good degree to do. Not necessarily to become a microbiologist, but the techniques and methods you learn stand you in good stead in a variety of careers.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Had a couple of mates who did Mineral Estate Management. They had done a year elsewhere and packed it in to do this too. Not sure where they ended up but not sure mining was the way to go !
    Still, IT was supposed to be the future too....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    The only half sensible Google hit on "Tin Mining degree" is this thread! I think the nearest thing is the Camborne School of Mining.
    Exeter Uni properly renamed it especially as English university STEM departments rely a lot on overseas students.

The people I know and knew who did the stupidly named degrees would rename their degree on their CV/Application forms when they were looking for jobs outside the industry. However they would put the proper name in brackets.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    The only half sensible Google hit on "Tin Mining degree" is this thread! I think the nearest thing is the Camborne School of Mining.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    i worked for a national company and they used to send directors back to the floor for a day to see what life was like at the Tulip end of the stick, we had a director come down to our location one day and we got talking to him and he told us he had a degree in TIN MINING

so just goes to prove you you can get to the top in any profession with any Tulip degree
    Is Tin Mining an engineering degree?

Some rigorous degrees have stupid names as I remember a few people at UMIST studying degrees with such names but they were actually engineering degrees targeted at the specific industries who sponsored them.r

Leave a comment:

• Support Monkey
    replied
    i worked for a national company and they used to send directors back to the floor for a day to see what life was like at the Tulip end of the stick, we had a director come down to our location one day and we got talking to him and he told us he had a degree in TIN MINING

so just goes to prove you you can get to the top in any profession with any Tulip degree

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    It may be worth forking out the Oxbridge degree, and all the connections it brings, but any youngster who really wants a degree should be looking at doing it abroad. Save a fortune in tuition fees, and they'll have the best chance to get really fluent in a foreign language even though many courses are available in English

British students are learning that it pays to take their degree abroad | Education | The Observer
    My wife expects and dreads one of the twins going to Aberdeen and the other to Exeter. Now I can suggest one in Dublin and the other to Berlin.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I would probably tell kids not to bother with the degree now, they are becoming wastes of money. I did a 5 year degree so I would be hit with a 45 grand debt for tuition fees if I did mechanical in England, stick on maybe 20 grand of personal debt and you are on a run chase into your 30s trying to pay that off.
    It may be worth forking out the Oxbridge degree, and all the connections it brings, but any youngster who really wants a degree should be looking at doing it abroad. Save a fortune in tuition fees, and they'll have the best chance to get really fluent in a foreign language even though many courses are available in English

British students are learning that it pays to take their degree abroad | Education | The Observer

"We love David Cameron," he joked, "His policies are doing a great thing for European integration!"

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Will this help to increase his circle also?
    Never did sasguru snr much harm. He can still talk out of his arse!!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Will this help to increase his circle also?
    It should stretch his "potential" somewhat.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X